Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I going to hate my tile?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I going to hate my tile?

Looking for an opinion(s). I am using stacked stone on my raised bond beam. I was considering bring the stone into the water but understand the scum line would be difficult to clean…..soooooo I found a 6x6 tile made from the same stone. It appears to be some what rough but at least it is flat. How tough will be to keep clean? I am looking for the natural blended look instead of a contrasting tile that will stand out.

38x14.5 free form, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, reef step, 21,000 gallons, 6",12", and 18" raised bond beams. Raised spa with cascading water feature. Thin Stone "Desert Gold" ledge stone Veneer with matching coping and tile. 400K Master Temp, Pentaire DE filter, 1 4x160 and 1 2hp wisperflo. Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Easy Touch 8 controller with wireless remote and is4 spa remote. Deep heat and plumbed for solar and future water fall.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Am I going to hate my tile?

Looks pretty good to me. Do you have physical samples you can put next to each other and check?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Riverside, CA

You should be able to find some porcelain that is a close color match, it would be much easier to keep clean (if that photo above is a rough texture natural stone). Keep in mind that you only see a couple inches of tile above the water line.

I know how you feel on the picking finish items. I guess I expected someone to whip out a color wheel and talk about contrasting / complementing colors and such. We ended up in a huge display room with about 1000-2000 samples on the wall ... The photos in the book didn't help much either, most of them were just too plain or too crazy.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Baton Rouge, LA

You will definitely positively maybe possibly have a love hate relationship with your tile. Depending on the phase of the moon.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here