INTEX STRAINER GRID CLOGGING

Apr 28, 2011
Im new to the pool world. I have a 18 x 52 metal intex pool. I bought a 2650 intex sand filter pump becasue i couldnt get good flow with the 14'' one. My question is that the grid that i have on my pool by intex cloggs up fast. I have critter bug vacuum running that i have hooked it up to. It works okay until the grid gets to clogged to pull with any kind of force. The skimmer on the sand filter stays clean becasue nothing gets to it. I also have the intex skimmer basket in the pool that collects the top stuff when the bug isnt running. Is there a way to bypass the grid and use the skimmer on the pump or should i leave it alone and clean off the grid every hour?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

When you use the critter bug vacuum do you disconnect the pool skimmer from the return that has the stainer grid or do you use the skimmer and plug the vacuum up to it? What are you trying to vacuum up? The strainer grid on the return will clog very quickly if you are vacuuming up anything larger than the holes in the grid. Since the grid is there the basket at the pump won't really collect anything and almost always stay clean. If you want to you can take out the strainer grid from the return (will require a little work) but that will alow the basket at the pump to collect the larger debri.

Check out my build. I added a thru-wall skimmer and that allowed me to have a second suction port which I use just for vacuuming.

Backyard build in central Texas

If you have any other questions just ask.

:cheers:

Thanks for the reply. I disconnect the hose form the pool skimmer and i plug the bug hose into the adapter on the strainer grid. There is mostly dirt and dead bugs at the bottom right now, When the bug picks it up it the grid just gets clogged. I dont know if there is a way to leave off the grid since its screwed on by a nut for that application. Could i just make the holes bigger on the grid?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.