UAW strike on GM!!

G

man does this stink, i cant belive what they think their going to get out of it. I wish it worked liked the forign auto makers were they say "take it or leave it" but americans can go on strike and stop the economy dead cold for gm. Its a loose loose situation .

i had a sierra on order, man i hate to say it but if this is going to last i may have to be disloyal and go get a ford f250 insted of a sierra denali. i hope it works out, because once i cross over i am never going back.

I just can't believe the nerve of the UAW to walk away from those jobs... I mean most of that work force is probably barely high-school educated yet they make what, $70k+ a year? What the heck do they have to complain about? If they don't want the job then fine, hire a whole new workforce who actually have 1 foot in reality!

I'm kind of thinking though that the whole thing is a ploy... GM is sure to have a huge backlog of cars... they'll take a couple of weeks without having to pay salaries, pocket all that money, reduce their car backlog which means they have to offer less incentives to dealerships, and it's a win-win situation for them. They probably have some deal with the UAW behind the scenes that they'll give them what they want as soon as they come back after a few weeks.

Anyway, gonna get a Denali huh? Are you a member over at www.denalitrucks.com? They're the best resource around for Denali's. I have a Sierra C3 myself which is a predecessor to the Denali. I have a 2008 Mustang on order though so the C3 is going to be up for sale soon.

yea i have an 08 on order, for me to replace my 99 gmc surburban, i bought it about 2 months ago and said, I want somthing new, so i did, but like you say i wonder if there goignt to deal here, because i wouldn't strike at 70K a year. Thats what i think

fire them all and hire new people.

That's what Reagan did with the Air Traffic Controllers. Car prices have gone out of hand, any car now a days cost $20,000 minimum.

This was my thinking when I built my pool. I told my wife, we can buy a good 2nd car for $25,000 own it for 6 years and start running into repair nightmares and then buy another or buy a pool and own it for 30+ yrs (that is how long we are planning to live in our dream house) and just drive a used car as a 2nd car.

EskimoPie said:
I just can't believe the nerve of the UAW to walk away from those jobs... I mean most of that work force is probably barely high-school educated yet they make what, $70k+ a year? What the heck do they have to complain about? If they don't want the job then fine, hire a whole new workforce who actually have 1 foot in reality.

They want their jobs, but GM is slowly sending them overseas. How long would you just sit there and do nothing? and to say that the work force is uneducated and they make $70k a year tells me your education level.

Rollin Thunder said:
I wish it worked liked the forign auto makers were they say "take it or leave it"
I bet you don't go to work and tell your boss that.

98xc600 said:
EskimoPie said:
I just can't believe the nerve of the UAW to walk away from those jobs... I mean most of that work force is probably barely high-school educated yet they make what, $70k+ a year? What the heck do they have to complain about? If they don't want the job then fine, hire a whole new workforce who actually have 1 foot in reality.

They want their jobs, but GM is slowly sending them overseas. How long would you just sit there and do nothing? and to say that the work force is uneducated and they make $70k a year tells me your education level.

Rollin Thunder said:
I wish it worked liked the forign auto makers were they say "take it or leave it"

boy did everything you said come out the wrong way.

btw i worked my *** off for 35 years to get to were i am today THE BOSS. so no i dont tell my boss that i control other people who can come tell me that and they can take it or leave it, they start to complain i give them one change and if they keep it up fire them and replace them, thats the way to keep a business successful. i may only control 60 employees and gm conrolls 60,000 but they dont go on strike because they want to make 80k insted of 70k.

98xc600 said:
EskimoPie said:

Rollin Thunder said:

I knew a guy back in the early 80s who worked for Fisher Body in Ohio. When they slowed down and needed to lay people off he, who had a great deal of seniority, could pick between being laid off at about 75% salary or continuing to work at 100%. Which do you think he chose?

They aren't striking because jobs are going overseas, jobs are going overseas because the unions have made the American workforce uncompetitive. If you don't believe that take a look at the Japanese plants here in the U.S. Those non-union shops aren't handcuffed by the out-of-control labor costs the Big Three are; the results are telling.

Unions, do not always do what is best for their employees, nor do they always speak for their employees.

I think to act as though they are just greedy, without knowing the facts, may be one sided.

I also blame the goverment for allowing such cheap imports when our products are met with high tarrifs overseas. We are not competing on equal footing and I can certainly see how the average American worker would feel betrayed by their government, and then in turn by a compnay who exports jobs.

Not to say they are right to strike. I don't have all the details, however, I'm sure there are compelling arguments on both sides.

The people are back to work this morning. I'm sure everyone in the Union is relieved not to have to be off very long. I'm new to unions. But I am a new union steward in health care. And in my job we need a union. If I didn't stick up for my workers we'd all be fired for all kinds of stupid things. Here in MI there is a HIGH unemployment rate and everyone works at least one job and there are 6 people waiting in line to take yours if you fail. I'm glad there was an agreement reached so soon. But for me and my co workers we deserve a decent wage and benifts we can afford too. Just because we work at a hospital doesn't mean we can afford to get the kind of service we give every day. This is just IMHO., Kimrst

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
as i recall, the strike is over now, not sure if thats true, my son told me that, i hope its true, he was so mad at it, he was ready to have me buy a ford edge and he get a ford f250, i cant belive that as he is a life time gmc buyer, glad its over though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.