Fighting the Swamp - First test with the Taylor K-2006

First test with the Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006.

A little background first:

- I’ve been reading as much as I can from TFP for less than 2 weeks now – plus most of the Pool School and the entire instruction manual that came with the test kit. I have a Civil Engineering background and I took a lot of physics, chemistry and calculus in college – a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. That just means I can read. I still remember those dang lab reports … ACK !! … waxing nostalgic here … but I digress … back on topic …
- I began the Algae War 5 days ago – sorry – I don’t have a “before” pic but it looked a lot like RaysFan’s (new guy) – nasty rich green swamp.
- I’ve been using a “soon to expire” paper test strip since the war began – with surprisingly similar results as the K-2006. I’m impressed. Still couldn’t get a consistent pH number.
- I’m much more impressed with the FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit! (My wife keeps telling me that I’m “ate up” ... whatever…).

OK – Test results as follows:

FC 8.0
pH 7.4
TA 85-90 Too close to call
CH 230
CYA 33
Water Temp 78F (1930 hrs CDT)

Actions taken:

- Since we’re experiencing unsettled weather here in the FL panhandle – it’s been very windy and we’re expecting rain – I expect additional contaminants – leaves, sticks, dirt, sand, etc. to find its way into the pool tonight. Thus – the suspended organic matter most likely will increase and feed the algae monster. So – I added an additional 1.3± gal. of 10% chlorine in order to raise the shock level to 15. Yes – I used the Pool Calculator! This was done after sundown. I was trying to maintain at least a 10 ppm shock level with the paper test strips – that was the test strip's limit - but I admit I was intentionally over chlorinating. After all – the article on killing algae said “Hit it Hard” – well – I did … and I’m continuing to do so. Shock and Awe !!
- I just started using the 10% chlorine since the 6% Wal-Mart bleach in 1.4 gal. jugs cost $2.55± ($1.82/gal) but the Ace Hardware has 10% for $1.90/gal. – better deal in my mind.
- The pump has been running 24/7 for 10 days now.
- I’ve been backwashing and brushing every day this week – twice a day last weekend when I was home (I hate it when work gets in the way of my pool!).
- I had a Trichlor puck floating about, but I didn’t know what the CYA was, so I pulled it out for a few days so as not to unduly increase it. Apparently it didn’t. I’ve returned it to the pool.
- Water has gone from the nice pretty green to an opaque aqua – very nice ! Still not crystal clear. I suspect there’s a lot of dead algae floating around.
- Additional info – filter sand needs to be cleaned and/or replaced in a bad way. The pressure is up around 50 PSI … that’s the way I found it when I moved in six months ago. That’s the next project on the list. I’ve been backwashing every week religiously.

I’ve probably left something out of this babble – and my twisted logic has surely pointed me in some odd direction which will lead me back to the swamp (Go Gators! Oops – wrong forum). I suspect you-all will point out whatever I missed or didn’t take into consideration. After all – this is my third pool but the first one where I’ve had to DIY (see my intro post for my whine).

I was at a loss trying to figure out how to make the green water go away. Thanks to Richard, Ted, Jason, et al and everyone else who’ve created and contribute to this wonderful community – I now know how!!! Thanks !!

Mike

Welcome! Did you test for CC?

Keep the FC above shock level around the clock if possible and you'll be on your way in no time. Just boost up before work and before bed. I think a green pool is like a puppy - needs tending at lunch and middle of the night.

Oh, and Geaux Tigers! (oh yeah, wrong forum :-D )

Sportsman said:
Welcome! Did you test for CC?

Keep the FC above shock level around the clock if possible and you'll be on your way in no time. Just boost up before work and before bed. I think a green pool is like a puppy - needs tending at lunch and middle of the night.

Oh, and Geaux Tigers! (oh yeah, wrong forum :-D )

DOH ! :oops: No - I inadvertently skipped that part in my haste to see what the pH was.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Have you checked the guage to see if its broken? Does it return to zero when the pump is off?

Hang in there, you are doing great! :)

Pressure gauge seems to be fine ... it mostly hovers around 50 psi and occasionally when I backwash it'll drop to around 15 psi when I'm setting the valve from filter to backwash - then jump back to 50 psi after I turn it back on.

Flotsam said:
Pressure gauge seems to be fine ... it mostly hovers around 50 psi and occasionally when I backwash it'll drop to around 15 psi when I'm setting the valve from filter to backwash - then jump back to 50 psi after I turn it back on.
Your gauge is probably bad.

[edit] Your pump could not get to 50 psi. It would be maxed out at 38 psi.[end edit]

When you're setting the valve from filter to backwash you're turning the pump off, right? If so then your gauge should read zero and if it doesn't, it's definitely bad.

If you're not turning the pump off you really should be. You'll possibly ruin the valve seals if you don't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Flotsam said:
... after I turn it back on.
I read that but just wanted to make sure you meant the pump and not the valve. :)

So, you turn the pump off and the gauge goes to 15 = new gauge time! :(

Yeah - but it doesn't always do that - which had me confused (which isn't hard to do).

I understand that the pressure in the filter will rise if it's extremely dirty - correct?. I have a feeling that the filter sand hasn't been cleaned or replaced since it was installed. I read that the filter pressure shouldn't be much higher than 30± psi ... so I've been concerned with the 50+ reading.

Another oddity is the pipe tape around the gauge threads looks fairly new ... nice and clean (white) - as if recently replaced.

I just replaced (yesterday) a 22 year old sand filter with the original sand in place. It ran 15 psi clean, I'd flush it when it got to 25. New filter is running 18psi clean. It's a different filter than yours, but should still be a decent reference.

Fighting the Swamp - First test with the Taylor K-2006**UPDA

Second Test results as follows:

FC 8.4
CC 1.0
pH 7.4
TA 85
CH 240
CYA 39
Water Temp 76F (1945 hrs CDT)

Added additional 145 oz. of 10% chlorine to bring to shock level of 15 ppm.

I'm still trying to keep a high FC level to make sure ALL of the algae is killed. I ran the CC test tonight as well.

Still haven't had a chance to look into a new filter pressure gauge ... shouldn't be an issue. I'll post pressure readings - hopefully correct ones - after the new gauge is installed.

I'm REALLY liking the new Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 kit!

Thanks to all who chimed in!! I still think the filter sand is dirtier than heck and needs to be replaced - but the new pressure gauge will tell me the severity.

Thanks again !!! :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.