Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much filter ?!?!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much filter ?!?!?

Is it possible to have too big a filter for a pool?
    I've been looking at the Pentair DE QUAD 60. While discussing options with a pool equipment vendor, it was suggested that I might have issues maintaining adequate pressure using such a large filter on a relatively small pool (~ 15k). Granted, it is probably overkill, but is this truly a potential problem?
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much filter ?!?!?

"maintaining adequate pressure"? What is that?

Pool size really has nothing to do with it.

With a DE filter, you need some minimum water flow to coat the grids or backwash. Once the grids are coated, you can have much lower flow rates and things are fine. This is a good match for a variable speed pump or a dual speed pumps if you use high speed when initially coating the grids and when backwashing. A large DE filter won't work nearly as well with a super small single speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would have said HUH???
    When it comes to Filters and Heater, bigger is always better.
    With a large filter you have to clean it less. Let me know who out there wants more maintenance.
    As long as you dont have a tiny pump, need a little pressure to coat grids, other wise go for it.
    I have a Quad 100 and like it very much. Only down side to buying a larger filter is when you have to replace the filters, they will be a little more.
    Mine are 5 years old and still look like new, when I clean them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounded kind of odd to me as well, but what do I know. I thought there may be some rationale I was not understanding.

As the old joke goes "How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb? None, it's a hardware problem"
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.