TF100 Test Kit In

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
Ok guys, test kit is in. Now I can get down to business! Lots of rain this week hardness is all out of wack! Here are the results
FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
PH 7.6
TA 180
CH 530
CYA 100

If I lower my PH to 7.0 and run the waterfall will I be able to lower it to 70??

Ditto...

After your CYA is lowered to at least 80 we can worry about TA, but you got it right...reducing PH with acid to 7.0 will also reduce TA some. You then aerate to increase PH without raising TA. Repeat if needed.

The main issue in those results is that FC of 6 with CYA at 100 is too low.

Water replacement is very likely to lower TA, CH, and CYA. However, there will be some TA and CH in the fill water, so they won't go down as much as CYA does. To find out how much of an effect that is you need to test your fill water TA and CH levels. Fill water never has CYA in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, if you need to shock, go right ahead. Shocking with CYA at 85 will be a little challenging, but still way way better than shocking with CYA at 100+. SInce you have a SWG, it is probably worth the hassle of shocking with CYA that high, rather than more draining and then having to raise CYA back up.

Nothing in this topic suggested a need to shock, so I didn't mention it. If there water is clear and FC holds there is no need to shock. I have forgotten your other topics by now (Sorry, I read so much around here) so I've lost the context of what you were doing. That is one of the reasons it is nice if you keep everything relating to a single project together in one place.

Sorry Jason, I shouldn't have started a new thread. I'm getting some spots of algae forming thats when this whole CYA thing started. But I was holding off until I got the TF100 kit to shock and do borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.