Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to know if the cell is gone?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to know if the cell is gone?

I have a SC-36 pool pilot cell. The pins to connect the electric cord are burned (I used sand paper to clean the pins) and got a new cord cable. The cell is clean but the panel still shows "Clean Cell" message.

I run the test and its says 21V 4.7 Amps and 3100 Salt level (normal level is between 2800-3500)

How do I know if I need to replace the cell? Any tips?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How to know if the cell is gone?

First, do a visual inspection of the cell and see if there is any white crusty stuff on the cell plates. Also look at the corners of the cell plates and check to see if some of them are worn away. White crusty stuff is calcium scale which can be cleaned off and probably get the cell working again. No calcium scale and worn cell plate corners mean the cell is worn out, or about to be.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Re: How to know if the cell is gone?

Also, have the water tested for salinity. Occasionally, the displayed salt level may need to be calibrated to match a physical salt test. How cold is the water temperature?
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators