Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump recommendation

So we are going to need to replace our pool pump this season. Our pool is a round 24' x 48 above ground. The old pump was on it's last legs, it is a Jacuzzi 1.5 HP, it was very loud and power hungry!

I'd like to replace the pump with a quieter perhaps 2 speed pump. Any recommendations? The filer is a Jacuzzi Laser 192 Sand filter. I think it is still quite serviceable so long as the pump is compatible.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump recommendation

Welcome to TFP.

A good pump is the Whisperflo but for a AGP you should look at the Dynamo 2 speeds. These are uprated pumps so a 1 hp will be a good fit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I would definitely shop for a 2-speed. Ours is 1.5 hp and we run it on the low setting 6 hours during the night. It's very quiet, economical to operate, and does an excellent job circulating the water. The only time we run it on high is to backwash/rinse the sand filter or to vacuum.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am a bit tardy in my response..... Thanks for the replies. Given the recommendation for the dynamo, how do you think the Optiflow compares? Like this one:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 347991.htm

Given that I also plan to plumb this with PVC at the same time, and different preference for vertical or horizontal discharge?

thanks

Bill

5. Back To Top    #5

That pump looks fine. With 30' of head your close to 70gpm on high.

Most pumps have a vertical discharge but if your plumbing would benefit from a horizontal discharge it sure makes it nice to have.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit