Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing for Winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing for Winter

We closed our pool yesterday... I followed some of the advice, I did buy a new winter cover, air-pillow and all. I just couldn't accept not covering it, sorry! I didn't buy the worthless "winterizing kit" tho, that the pool stealers were selling, don't need it. Just poured in two large jugs of bleach and covered it. Forgot to add the poly-quat tho. Oh well. We'll see if I open green. At least now I know what to do now if it does turn green!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

If the pool was ~clean on closing and you have a solid cover, I don't think that you have to worry about an algae problem in the spring. Have a good winter!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I am about to close my 7600 gallon pool - how much of that Polyquat should I use? I shocked and am balancing and then adding polyquat and then shocking again before Friday morning.

Can I just pour in the whole quart of this stuff??
    thanks
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi waterbug , hope you had a great season, sorry it's over

Your plan sounds perfect! Just try to keep the water on the cover to ~1' over the winter and the debris cleaned off of it and you should open to a pool ready to swim in

Have a great winter and say hi to Richmond for me
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks WAste!

We're good to go then. We have a cute little pump that we hook up after every rainfall.

Richmond says to you too!

Summer was way too short this year
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

6. Back To Top    #6
    Well here's to dreaming of springtime and pool opening.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbug
    Thanks WAste!

We're good to go then. We have a cute little pump that we hook up after every rainfall.

Richmond says to you too!

Summer was way too short this year
    wow your closing already, this is my first winter with a pool so i dont want to trust the climate here, so im closing this year and may keep it open all year next year, i thought watch it go below freezing and we get 20"of snow, but it all goes to heck when we get 1" of snow here,

anyway WOW in not even thinking of closing until at least after thanks giving.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yah, now that we are closing on Friday, it's gonna be in the mid-80's here this weekend! Water is kinda cold though. We might be in an area where leaving it open all year is possible - would need a leaf cover I guess.