Hayward Skimmer Diverter Question

Apr 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey peeps,

I am a newbie :)

I have a Hayward sp1082 (or maybe sp1084) skimmer...

Here is a photo --
[attachment=0:2t7thhvy]photo2.JPG[/attachment:2t7thhvy]

If you can't read the sticker on the assembly, it says:

1 - Full skim - Handle straight up, sideplate open
2 - 1/2 drain, 1/2 skim - Handle at 45 degrees, sideplate half open
3 - Full drain - Handle horizontal, sideplate closed

The handle is in the 45 degree position, but there is no slide plate (although the sticker calls it a sideplate, the parts list calls it a slide plate).

Now for my question:

Could someone explain the various positions and what they do...I don't understand what full drain, 1/2 drain, 1/2 skim etc. means.
I need to figure it out before I go ahead and drain my pool because of lots of TDS...

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 184
Welcome to TFP.

The main drain is plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer and the diverter (thing with the sticker) position determines where the water is pulled from. It can either pull all from the skimmer and none from the MD (Position 1), half from the skimmer and half from the MD (position 2), or all from the MD and none from the skimmer (position 3).

I don't think you need a separate slide plate with the diverter you have. It has a flapper built in that closes off or opens the flow.

So I drained my pool. The clown at the pool store gave me a TDS reading of 1200, exactly the same as before I drained my pool. Huh?
His attitude made me not want to go there again. Amazon.com here I come. And TFP of course.
Dave was right. My main drain is plumbed into the bottom of my skimmer. That's the reason I didn't see any drain in the bottom of my pool.
I'm now using the pool calculator to figure out what to add to my freshly refilled pool...this website rocks. Thx everyone for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.