copper stain on new plaster

pbrunet

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
League City, TX
just installed pool in September of 2010. Ran heater and now I have copper stains.
AA treated a couple of times and removed some of the stains but now I am stuck. any suggestions.
Its a chlorine pool with ozone generator.
No help from installer........

Brown is more likely to be iron. Have you had the water tested for copper and iron?

Ozone is very good at oxidizing metals, which means that preventing stains is almost impossible when you have metals in the water and use an ozonator.

What happened, why did the copper heat exchanger get damaged?

Can you post a full set of test results?

Can you provide a full profile of your pool? Pool type, size, equipment etc?

Can you post some pictures?

Ok, thanks
15500 gallon, cartridge filter

i always got normal results on testing the pool chemistry.
maybe i didn't metal treat enough when i filled pool initially ? ?

I will post pics....but give me a minute to find them

copper vs Fe treat would be different ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My guess is that you haven't used enough AA, but it is very difficult to be sure. One way to test that theory is to hold a vitamin C tablet against a stained area that failed to come off last time for 30 seconds to a minute and see if it improves. If the vitamin C makes a significant difference, then you simply didn't use enough AA last time. But if it stays the same we will need to try something else.

thanks jasonlion
I was thinking along those lines as well........ doing a test spot......... but didn't think about using an actual Vitamin C tablet. I will try this today.
Was also thinking about a concentrated amount of HCl at a shallow spot like a step.

I noticed at the pool store a brush with steel bristles vs vinyl bristles like I am currently using. I just don't think it is something that will brush out.

OK,, so i tried the Vit C tablets and it actually left a new stain where i left the tablets. Strange....... but i also checked the pH and its probably too high right now (8.2) . The stain left by the Vit C is almost purple on one stain and more dark brown on another stain.
not giving up hope...but clearly there was a reaction to the Vit C.

Yea, copper can do that. It changes oxidation levels and the color changes. Some oxidation levels are easier to remove than others. Try treating a small area with some dry acid wrapped up in a sock or stocking and see if that helps.

OK, so all the areas that i treated with AA yesterday are now clean and white. Surprise!
In concentrated spots it actually cleans up the stains...... probably removing some of the plaster.

Todays test with Dry Ash also has a positive affect. Again though it feels like it may be taking a layer of plaster in the test spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.