Valve Actuator Partial Close

padrino

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 16, 2010
I am adding actuators to my pool to control the skimmer and main drain returns normally I will just open and close them but at times I want to control flow a little more with say one an additional setting for a partial open or close. Not sure if it matters but assuming Jandy 2 way valves are there any actuators that allow a intermediate setting providing full open, partial, close? I have an intellitouch system that will be controlling them, have not yet purchased any actuators.

Nope, actuators go to one of two positions. Anything else needs to be done manually or with more than one valve. Two valves can get you four combinations if you set them up correctly, though that is usually getting into the area of unnecessary complexity.

Maybe some day the pool industry will catch up with the rest of the world.
They make digital valve actuators, just not for the pool world. Ahhhhh.........Think about the possibilities.

You can adjust the start and stop points on your actuators, but as Jason said you only get a starting, and stopping place.
You can manually turn off the switch at a point between the other two points, but that kind of kills the purpose of an actuator.

thunderkyss said:
I'll see if I can take a picture for you tomorrow. But my builder set up the valve going to my pool returns halfway between full on & full closed. I think they are hayward actuators, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the help, this will help shed some light on the possibilities. I will wait to order until you post and it sounds like it may save me some trial and error.

Sorry, almost forgot. I took these in the dark, with my blackberry. badazz little camera in a phone if you ask me.

IMG00139-20110427-2237.jpg

IMG00140-20110427-2237.jpg

When I thought I was having water flow issues, I tried to adjust this valve manually, but the actuator kept putting it back to this position. My pb set it up, I have no idea how. But if that guy could figure it out, I'm sure you can.

Just like you're talking about, he said it was done that way to balance the water flow between the pool returns and the spa returns.

thunderkyss said:
When I thought I was having water flow issues, I tried to adjust this valve manually, but the actuator kept putting it back to this position. My pb set it up, I have no idea how. But if that guy could figure it out, I'm sure you can.

Just like you're talking about, he said it was done that way to balance the water flow between the pool returns and the spa returns.
The Goldline GVA-24 Valve Actuator rotates 180 degrees in 12.8 degree increments.

Manual Override
In the event of a power failure, you may need to move the valve position manually.
Before performing this procedure, turn off pool filtration just in case power resumes.
Follow the instructions below for manual override of the GVA-24 actuator.
1. Put the toggle switch in the OFF (center) position.
2. Unscrew the Locking Knob above the handle approximately 4 full turns (Fig. 3).
3. Push down on the Locking Knob. This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle and thus the diverter to be moved in any position.
4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Screw the Locking Knob down until snug.
5. Put the toggle switch back in the ON1 or ON2 position.
http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual241.pdf

http://www.haywardcanada.com/inground/p ... ductID=128

[edit to clarify] You can only choose between two positions. The GVA-24 will allow you to adjust the cams in 12.8 degree increments to make one of the positions partially open, but it's still only two positions. [end edit]

padrino said:
I am adding actuators to my pool to control the skimmer and main drain returns normally I will just open and close them but at times I want to control flow a little more with say one an additional setting for a partial open or close. Not sure if it matters but assuming Jandy 2 way valves are there any actuators that allow a intermediate setting providing full open, partial, close? I have an intellitouch system that will be controlling them, have not yet purchased any actuators.

After re-reading this, I don't know if I understood you correctly.

The picture I posted is one position of two that this valve can be set. Port three is partially closed. The pool controls has it in that position or completely closing off port 1. I don't have the option to set it to automatically select more than those two positions, like a position 1, position 2, or position 3. I can only choose position one or position two, but I can set those position anywhere I would like.

Like Jason lion said, you would have to add a third valve to do what you suggests.

Thanks for all of the help..

I assumed that a 3 port actuator may allow three configurable stops giving me what I was looking for but it sounds like a 3 port simply can rotate 180 vs. 90 degrees with the same 2 stops total.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.