Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter leaking from backwash pipe.

1. Back To Top    #1

filter leaking from backwash pipe.

Hello Friends,
    My 4000 series Pentair DE filter is leaking water from the backwash pipe. I truly do not know what I did wrong but I think the reason why the filter is leaking may be due to the fact I turned on the filter without the cap on. I want to repair the problem ASAP.

Please advise if you have any solutions to my leaking problem.
    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter leaking from backwash pipe.

It's probably some grit stuck in there.

What I'd try - you may want to wait for other, more experienced replies - is:

Turn pump off. Open air bleed on top of filter, Move lever to backwash. Water should start glugging out. Close lever, open lever, close lever, until you've emptied the tank. That's only 20-30 gallons, not a huge loss. Then with backwash closed, start pump, let air escape, close air vent. Wait a few minutes, then vent the rest of the air, and watch for drips out the drain pipe.

I hope yours is easier to reach than mine...some genius installed mine so that I can get my left foot in close, twist my body and bend and stretch to reach the lever.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A leak would not have been caused by turning it on with the cap off, though that might make a mess

Leaks from the backwash pipe are almost always caused by a bad spider gasket on the main multi-port valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Leaks from the backwash pipe are almost always caused by a bad spider gasket on the main multi-port valve.
    'cept ours doesn't really have a separate multiport. That's why I suggested a rinse before he tries tearing it apart. [attachment=0:197hxym6]filterbase.gif[/attachment:197hxym6]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    'cept ours doesn't really have a separate multiport. That's why I suggested a rinse before he tries tearing it apart. [attachment=1:a2wwozy5]filterbase.gif[/attachment:a2wwozy5]

Hello,

Thanks so much for the info. I rinsed and moved the back wash lever several times. The lever was a little tight. Any way, after I washed out some water, the pump was still leaking water from the same pipe. I then took the filters and spider. A two inch in diameter o-ring was broken. I think that might be the problem?
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

6. Back To Top    #6

O ring did not work. I was told by my local pool parts retailer that the leaking problems is due to the the the other rotor seal (white looking seal on picture)

I did not replace seal instead, I put a cap on the backwash out.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had the same problem this year..I left pump running&push'd down on handle...Flush'd it out..Not leaking anymore...Found that solution over the internet..What would do without the internet..lol
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    A leak would not have been caused by turning it on with the cap off, though that might make a mess

Richard.. I could click on your link to see what the spider gasket is