Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question re brick size for coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question re brick size for coping

My thread "nightmare" has taken a new turn. I can't seem to find out the size of brick that is typically used for coping. The bond beam is 12 and the builder is going to use 8 inch bullnose.
    Is this standard?

Thanks
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Quick question re brick size for coping

They make 8" and 12". Question is, what do you do with the other 4" between the coping and expansion joint, if you are doing one.
    If we were to install 8" we would cut back the beam at an angle so the joint is right behind the finished coping.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a PB, good point I guess I will ask the guy, are you saying that it is not standard to use 8" when you have a 12" beam? I know we are supposed to have an expansion joint. Is there a downside to having the expansion joint at the beam?
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa

4. Back To Top    #4

What type of deck are you planning on getting?

5. Back To Top    #5

We are doing stamped concrete.

just a pb now has me freaked out, he makes a good point. Can anyone verify that the expansion joint should not be on the beam? Now again I dont know what to do. I have a 12" beam, 8" coping and an expansion joint that wont really be an expansion joint if it is over the beam, right?

6. Back To Top    #6

I just measured, 12' for sure is the beam size, but it is cut at an anlge back at about 9' to 10", I figure the brick will stick over the tile about an inch? I would then have the angle starting at about 2" back from the brick. Is this okay?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I read part of your other post and I really feel for you. Guys like this give us PB's a really bad name.
    Did he spell out in the contract what size coping he was using?

Expansion is just a space to give both room to breath, as long as it is not connected to the beam that is not the issue.
    The issue would be the thickness of the concrete. I assume the brick is 1.5 to 2.25" thick.
    So the concrete where it would lay on top of the beam would only be 1.5 to 2.25" thick.
    Not the best scenario.

8. Back To Top    #8

No not in contract as we were to use flagstone but apparently they cant get the color my wife originally choose. I get what your saying, so yep Ill have about 2" to 3" of decking that is only the thickness of the brick.
    %$#@!!#%$^&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Any reason you can't ask them to use a 12-inch brick?

Can you find out how thick the brick is?

How thick is the deck going to be?

How wide is the expansion joint going to be?

If it's an issue, you can always have the bond beam cut back with a diamond saw.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know mine was pretty close to the size of the bond beam + a couple inces to overhang the pool, approx 14". It is colored concrete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

The brick is 2" thick, I guess it will be set on mortar and I dont know how thick that will be. I guess I get to call him and ask him what was he thinking, I cant have decking that is 4" thick up to the beam and then only 2 inches thick over the beam, that sounds like a crack waiting to happen. What makes it even worse is that the stamped concrete is 3/8 thick, to the actual concrete would only be about 1 inch thick.. that is insane! Right

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by merl
    The brick is 2" thick, I guess it will be set on mortar and I dont know how thick that will be. I guess I get to call him and ask him what was he thinking, I cant have decking that is 4" thick up to the beam and then only 2 inches thick over the beam, that sounds like a crack waiting to happen. What makes it even worse is that the stamped concrete is 3/8 thick, to the actual concrete would only be about 1 inch thick.. that is insane! Right
    Correct; that is insane.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

13. Back To Top    #13

I talked to the PB this moring, he says this is normal, standard, he uses 8 in bricks all the time. He puts a mastic joint over the beam of the pool all the time, he says that the deck is tied into the pool and it will not be a problem having deck that is only 2 inches thick over the beam!!!! I asked to see a pool that he has used 8" brick, he said he would call me back.

14. Back To Top    #14

Merl - Usually there is not a problem until the PB is paid in full and long gone. Concrete will crack at the weakest point (the transistion from 4" to 2" in your case). This is why the put joints in side walks, in hopes that when (not if) they do crack they will crack at the joint. If your PB is adamate that it will not crack ask him if he is willing to back that up with a retention of money. Possibly an amount that would cover the removal and replacement of the concrete once it does crack.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks, jasonknox, he is insistent that this is standard. I know it is not, but I guess I am stuck.

16. Back To Top    #16

There was about a 3' spot where my bond beam was wider than 12", They used a saw and cut 4" deep and removed any material that was beyond the 12". That way the concrete is the proper thickness all the way to the coping. They also covered the 4" deep "protrusion" under the deck so the deck was isolated from bonding with it. Why not just get a larger coping stone?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

The builder insists this is proper.

18. Back To Top    #18

Well, it isn't a code violation, and it won't explode, or anything like that. It is just something that will tend to fail more often than other things will tend to fail. While it is perfectly possible for a setup like that to last the life of the pool if things go well, I call it asking for trouble.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

I know, he said he would call me with address's of other pools he has built with 8 inch brick, that was 2 hours ago!

20. Back To Top    #20

Okay they sent me an address, 60 miles away. I told the guy lets just finish it so I can get to repairing it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast