inground swimming pool light housing trouble

Apr 26, 2011
I have a question that has been troubling me a little bit. I'm running into a problem trying to replace my light niche on my inground pool, my pool is 8" concrete walls and has a vinyl liner. The liner is about to be replaced and the pool is drained. The patio surrounding the pool has also not yet been put down so i have access to all of the lines and the junction box. I removed the light and have placed it on the top of the pool. I removed the liner and foam surrounding the light housing and attempted to remove the niche with no success. I dug out behind the light to expose the conduit and see that there is only one hole coming out from the concrete wall which is where the conduit for the electric line comes through. I would like to replace the housing because the copper ring that the wire goes through looks as if it is wearing a little bit. I have a stainless steel american products model 5 housing.

can anyone tell me how to remove the light niche/housing? Im certain it is cemented or caulked in place, but i don't want to pry it out without knowing for certain. any help would be appreciated. i would hate to spend 800 bucks on the replacement that the liner company wants to charge.

Thank you,

Brian

Hey, Brian. Welcome to the forum :lol:

Yep, it's cased in concrete.
the copper ring that the wire goes through looks as if it is wearing a little bit.
I don't recall where that copper is located but if it is mounted in the niche, then it seems it could be removed and replaced. Can you post a pic?

Thanks for the info. Here are some pics. I don't think a jackhammer is required. More than likely it was siliconed into place. The rim will pick up very little in a few spots, but I don't want to break anything till I have more info. I took pics but don't see the option to attach. Help please!

Use the "full editor" or "post reply" tabs, not quick reply. Scroll down to "upload attachment" and browse for your picture file.
I had some problems initially because my files were too large. I don't have a good photo editor program to resize my pictures. I searched my problem here and saw where someone suggested setting your camera on a lower resolution. For my camera that is the "basic" mode, instead of fine (which was taking very high res pics). This has worked great and uses much less memory.

Best of luck,
John

Ok found it. Thank you for the help. One picture is of the housing. im not sure what the second brass piece is inside (the tiny one).

Attachments

• housing.JPG
    housing.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 99
  • electric.JPG
    electric.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 91
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.