Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: inground swimming pool light housing trouble

1. Back To Top    #1

inground swimming pool light housing trouble

I have a question that has been troubling me a little bit. I'm running into a problem trying to replace my light niche on my inground pool, my pool is 8" concrete walls and has a vinyl liner. The liner is about to be replaced and the pool is drained. The patio surrounding the pool has also not yet been put down so i have access to all of the lines and the junction box. I removed the light and have placed it on the top of the pool. I removed the liner and foam surrounding the light housing and attempted to remove the niche with no success. I dug out behind the light to expose the conduit and see that there is only one hole coming out from the concrete wall which is where the conduit for the electric line comes through. I would like to replace the housing because the copper ring that the wire goes through looks as if it is wearing a little bit. I have a stainless steel american products model 5 housing.

can anyone tell me how to remove the light niche/housing? Im certain it is cemented or caulked in place, but i don't want to pry it out without knowing for certain. any help would be appreciated. i would hate to spend 800 bucks on the replacement that the liner company wants to charge.

Thank you,

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: inground swimming pool light housing trouble

Welcome to TFP!

My guess is that they poured concrete right around the niche and you will need a jackhammer to get it out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Hey, Brian. Welcome to the forum

Yep, it's cased in concrete.
    the copper ring that the wire goes through looks as if it is wearing a little bit.
    I don't recall where that copper is located but if it is mounted in the niche, then it seems it could be removed and replaced. Can you post a pic?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. Here are some pics. I don't think a jackhammer is required. More than likely it was siliconed into place. The rim will pick up very little in a few spots, but I don't want to break anything till I have more info. I took pics but don't see the option to attach. Help please!

5. Back To Top    #5

Use the "full editor" or "post reply" tabs, not quick reply. Scroll down to "upload attachment" and browse for your picture file.
    I had some problems initially because my files were too large. I don't have a good photo editor program to resize my pictures. I searched my problem here and saw where someone suggested setting your camera on a lower resolution. For my camera that is the "basic" mode, instead of fine (which was taking very high res pics). This has worked great and uses much less memory.

Best of luck,
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok found it. Thank you for the help. One picture is of the housing. im not sure what the second brass piece is inside (the tiny one).
    Attached Images Attached Images