Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Black Algae was in my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

The Black Algae was in my pool!

Black algae showed up last year... It depressed me. I scrubbed at it some and was sad. This spring I had had about 50 times the spots from the year before. Instead of sad, I got mad and thought I might try to actually do something about it.

A little background. The Ph in my pool loves to sit at 8.0. I got tired of the constant addition od MA over the winter so I let it go to 8 and stay. This spring, in preparation for swimming temps, I lowered the Ph and had these numbers

FC 1
    TC 1
    Ph 7.2
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA ZERO.

So, I added enough stabilizer to get CYA to 40 and kept the pump running 24-7. 2 days later, I donned the scuba gear and grabbed a pumice stone. It took about an hour but I swear I scrubbed the heads off every spot. Of course the roots were still quite visible. I got out and checked Ph and CYA. CYA was up to 40 and guess what! the Ph was still at 7.5. Last year it would have been back up to 7.9-8.0. I guess it took my plaster 2.5 years to cure...

Here comes the Shock. I dropped in 3 2.5 gal carboys of CL from ace hardware and another that I had left over from last year. About 4 hours later, at sunset, I checked CL and had:

FC 32.5
    TC 34
    CC 1.5

Not a single spot is visible anywhere in the pool! I brushed all the walls down anyway with a SS brush with the fin on the back that really forces the bristles against the pool walls.

Today, things still look great. I did not do an overnight test, I'll do that tonight. The guys at the pool store wanted to sell me some algaecide but I wanted to try elbow grease first.

I am no longer sad or mad.
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Black Algae was in my pool!

Good for you!

That ultra-shock may not be such a bad thing....who knows if there was any of that algae, say, behind the light? I'd keep the wire brush handy anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool. Sounds like you got it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Uh, just keep brushing. The brushing keeps the heads knocked off and doing so for a couple of weeks will ensure the chlorine kills every speck of root left. Once is not enough. Brush daily for several days while at shock level.

Great job - your gonna be pleased to have killed the beast
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

And they said black algae is like herpes!

I forgot to add that after I got the CL in the pool, I set the Polaris loose to pick up all the heads laying on the pool bottom. They went into the trash that night. With the cart filter (with new elements added last month) I did not want to vac them.

I hope if you read this after you found black algae in your pool and did a search on what to do, you won't get sad, or mad... It is just a minor problem that has a fix. Scrub and shock and brush, no big deal!

I'd write more but I gotta brush my pool!
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

My only regret is that you did not post before and after pics! We have so many people who don't know what BA looks like and they think they have it and it turns out to be something else entirely....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com