NE FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Sometimes one should think before committing to an all-out assault on one's pool! Based on seeing white floating stuff that was not being filtered from the surface, a cc reading of 1 (first ever), and reading several threads, I thought I was in the initial stages of white mold. So, I began the shock process as if I had mustard algae by adding lot's of bleach and turning the SWG on boost. The next day no CC and still had the white particles. After a look under a magnifying glass, I discovered it was really white bug scale/parts. :hammer:

So, we lost out on a great weekend of swimming. The FC (25 ppm) is still above what I want to swim in & it is going to be 92 tomorrow!

The moral of the story, "Don't Panic!" (courtesy of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
Cheers - Taz.

Taz, don't be hard on yourself :hammer:

I've got a true white water mold issue going on in one of the pools I manage ('cottonballs' hanging off the sides in places). You were erring on the side of caution by doing what you did :goodjob:

I'd say it's better to be sure that the pool has safe water to swim in, rather than to 'let it go and see what happens'.

You are being a responsible pool owner :cheers:

(of course, it might be best to see if what you think is going on, actually is :mrgreen: :wink: ))

If you want to drop your chlorine some, use the pool calculator to see how much bleach it would take to raise the FC by the amount you want to lower the FC and use 3 % hydrogen peroxide to lower the FC.

3 % hydrogen peroxide lowers FC by the same amount as an equal amount of bleach would raise it.

JamesW said:
If you want to drop your chlorine some, use the pool calculator to see how much bleach it would take to raise the FC by the amount you want to lower the FC and use 3 % hydrogen peroxide to lower the FC.

3 % hydrogen peroxide lowers FC by the same amount as an equal amount of bleach would raise it.

James, what % bleach or does it not matter?

Also, does the peroxide affect the pH?

It matters. It's 6% bleach vs. 3% hydrogen peroxide where the same volume cancels each other out. The effect on pH will be for it to get lowered a little by the same amount as one would expect if that amount of FC got consumed/used. You can, of course, use stronger hydrogen peroxide and scale down the volume appropriately.

As fate would have it, the autopilot digital decided to duplicate errors from Feb (which magically went away) and will not start the pump on any settings. It's been nice having the extra chlorine while the system is getting fixed. The replacement board (wasn't the pump, wasn't the tri-sensor, wasn't the control board, wasn't the relay) ought to get installed tomorrow.

Our PB's service gut jury-rigged the pump so I could run it for a few hours a day to circulate the water. Am using a solar cover at night & partially uncovering it during the day. Water is getting up to temp (77) & CL is down to 15 ppm.

BTW, didn't think of using peroxide to oxidize the CL. I've got most of a liter bottle of 20% peroxide my daughter needed for something or other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.