Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a single speed pump ok, or should I get a 2 speed pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a single speed pump ok, or should I get a 2 speed pump?

My 2 speed pump died. I bought a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix from Doheny's that was advertised as a 'discounted' item. It was also advertised as a 2 speed pump. It came today and it was only a single speed pump. My recourse is to send it back and pay more for a 2 speed pump, or just keep this one. My concern is that a single speed pump won't do the job.

So, is a single speed ok, or should I bite the bullet and pay more for a 2 speed pump?
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a single speed pump ok, or should I get a 2 speed pum

Hmm. If it was advertised as 2 speed pump and isn't shouldn't the seller work with you?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

A single speed pump will "do the job" as you say but it will just use more energy to do it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

If it was advertised as a 2-speed, they should have sent a 2-speed. I would get ahold of their customer service and climb the chain till you get what you ordered and paid for.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota