Help understanding these filter pipes and valves

Sep 12, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Like so many of us my father became a pool owner when he bought his house and received the instructions to: Turn this, pull that and flip this switch to backwash...put them back where they were to run the filter.

We got to talking about whether he filters his pool from the skimmers only or skimmers & drain. He says he thinks the drain does not pull anything into it. Dirt settles on the bottom of the pool as well. The picture below shows his pool pump and filter setup for his in-ground pool. He has two skimmers and one drain. No water features.

Any experts help us understand his system better?

What I think I know (and what I know I don't):

#1: Water comes in from pool main drain (because it is written on there)
#2: Water comes in from skimmers
#3: 2-way valve* (he turns this when backwashing pool...so is that when his drain is actually moving water?)
#4: Water out from Polaris pump.
#5: Pool pump.
#6:
#7:
#8: Push pull main valve used for backwash & filter positions
#9:
#10: Water out to pool
#11: Backwash water pipe
#12: 2-way valve* (he never turns this)

* 2-way valve? Are they also capable of being 'half-way' turned to let water come in or go out to both pipes?

I appreciate the help!

dads-pool-equipment.jpg

In the photo the main drain is turned off. Normally you want to draw water from both the skimmer and the main drain. However, it is possible that the main drain is clogged.

#6 - water enters the filter (in filter mode)
#7 - water comes out of the filter (in filter mode)
#9 - good question. In the photo it is turned off. A return pipe going who knows where.

What you are calling 2-way valves I call 3-way valves, one input and two outputs, or one output and two inputs, depending on how it is plumbed. Yes, they can be put in an intermediate position and connect both sides at once, point the OFF label at the blank side with no pipe connected.

The concept of turning #3 for backwashing doesn't make sense to me. It shouldn't matter what position #3 is in for backwashing.

Let me see if I can help.

1 & 2: are the suction lines from the pool, skimmers and main drain. They should have nothing to do with backwashing because the water is pulled from the pool to the pump only.

3: The valve controls the flow between the skimmers and the main drain. The valve can be turned so that both the skimmer and main drain work at same time.

4: I can't tell if that line is a suction or pressure line because I can't see the Polaris pump.

5: Main Pump

6 & 7: Those are the inlet and outlet to the filter. I don't know which is which though.

8: Push pull main valve used for backwash & filter positions.

9 & 10: Those look like the returns to the pool.

11: That is the backwash line.

12: The valve there can be turned to allow both returns (9 & 10) to work at same time.

Could we get a picture of the Polaris pump to help clarify those points?

Hope this helps alittle. :cheers:

I'm sorry to say this but... that is one of the worst plumb/ replumb jobs I've ever seen :puker: :pukel: :hammer:

To fill in the gaps, 6 & 7 are the 'bulkhead' inlet/ outlet for the filter. (is the filter sand or DE?).

A replumb of the system is optimal, there are 'ferncos' and non pressure fittings in that layout :evil: If it's a sand filter and debris is bypassing it, the sand will need to be changed and the laterals inspected/ replaced.

How much can pop afford to re-do the system?

@JasonLion
@crookm11

What you are calling 2-way valves I call 3-way valves, one input and two outputs, or one output and two inputs, depending on how it is plumbed. Yes, they can be put in an intermediate position and connect both sides at once, point the OFF label at the blank side with no pipe connected.

Ahhh...thanks to both of you for clearing a lot up for me. So, as you say the 3-ways can be at an intermediate position so he can draw from the skimmer, drain or both. Turning it to main drain only should answer the drain clogged question. Although, I now recall that it indeed works because he is essentially supplying water for his backwash from the drain by making that one of his steps.

@waste
I'm sorry to say this but... that is one of the worst plumb/ replumb jobs I've ever seen
Ain't that the truth! It's tucked outta site beside the cabana house and under an overhang so the "eyesoreness" of it is not seen. I think I've only looked at it twice in the 10+ years he has been there.

The ferncos are the ones on the push pull valve? Not sure which are the non-pressures.

I had always thought he had a DE filter...but not sure. I'll check.

How much can pop afford to re-do the system?
I doubt he has it high on his list. You suggesting a cleaner, tighter, closer tying in of the existing 'in' and 'out' pipes using the right fittings and such or a complete overhaul?

Frencos are sometimes put there to reduce noise, other times to get things to align because the plumber wasn't very good at their job. They will usually last for years, though no where near as long as the rest of the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.