Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: old pool, new owner, leaking... :(

1. Back To Top    #1

old pool, new owner, leaking... :(

Ok, here's the scoop. Or at least as much as I know so far.

Pool (specs that I know in sig) has been covered for at least 2 years. Realtor indicated there was a leak a couple years ago, but did not know where or if it had been repaired.

ETA Pool is 17 years old.

New pump motor 1hp, SF 1.0 (probably too big, but boss had it ordered and installed before consulting me!)

Pool company opened, only added liquid chlorine on my instruction Water not ot as bad as I expected upon opening. Full of sludge.

pH was high, lowered it with MA. Started shocking and scooping. lots of goop and dead bloated worms. 2 days of shocking and scooping later, and the pool lost about 8" overnight. hm.

Leak detection called, but we still need to clear the water. So we are scooping and shocking, running pump for about 45 minutes after shocking and then turning it off.

Are we at all on the right track? And yes, I have 'our' TF 100

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: old pool, new owner, leaking... :(

Oh my gosh!!! TMQ, How are ya'?

It is so great to see you back on the board!!

You are certainly on the right track....I see two priorities (I know you do, too)

1. Find that leak

2. Continue to dig out the sludge so you can get started clearing the water.

Have you let the pool leak down to a stopping point yet or are you just adding extra water everyday?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome back TMQ
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi TMQ

So happy to see you back and with a pool!

Every mermaid needs her own water
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks duraleigh! it was really fun to get the test kit... still have not quite tried out all the tests, but soon! Boss nearly passed out when he saw it... chemistry is NOT his thing!

Since I don't live at the house with the pool, and the boss is a bit antsy (it is his money, after all), we are sort of taking a pseudo-TFP approach... BBB all the way for chemistry, but he is a little more comfortable letting the pool store handle the 'big' stuff for now, and truthfully, so am I!!

Since the pool held water until we started scooping the sludge in earnest, we feel that the leak is in the bottom of the deep end, and the sludge was keeping it plugged. The pool store said the leak detectors will dive to patch the liner, if that is the issue, so the water needs to be cleared up. Which seemed logical. The water is probably ~60*, so I am not too excited about jumping in to patch a leak!!

So we have not let it level out, but rather are scooping, topping the water, shocking (we are fortunate to be able to get 10% LC here), filtering for 30-45 minutes to mix it up, and shutting off the pump.

We started shocking and scooping on Wednesday, the day the pool was opened, scooping big time on Friday, and the leak showed itself by Saturday afternoon. I have not seen the pool since Friday noon-ish. Also, we have been having torrential rains here in the Cincinnati area, which just adds to the fun. Woohoo.

So I guess we are mostly on the right track.... Boss's wife already spilled a jug of LC in boss's suburban (of course black interior, and of course he is very picky about the car) They would have gladly hired a pool service, but have faith that I know my stuff... given the spill and now the leak (both beyond my control) I am loathe to make any more boo-boos!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

So 'we' have to get a new liner. There is a gash at the steps, and the liner is in pitiful condition... bubbled up in the corners of the steps, wrinkly and dark on one side, bleached out horribly and scaly, and has about as much flexibility as plexiglass. The gash could be patched, but one wrong footstep on the steps and the whole thing will collapse.

So we will have a shiny new pump, a shiny new liner, and sparkling clear water!! Yay!

7. Back To Top    #7

And then they'll see just how good this BBB thing really is!

We been missing ya girl!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

the best laid plans... let pool sit for a couple days, and water stopped leaking around the 3rd step. Boss decided to try to patch it and limp along this year, and perhaps replace with fiberglass next year. (is that even possible?)

So the patches have held quite nicely, and we are working at clearing the water. Boss is a 'I just want to dump some stuff in there and hurry this process along' kind of guy, so that is somewhat of a challenge!

Thanks to the great advice of the pool store guy (NOT) who came out to look at the liner, Boss dumped in 1/2 a quart of copper algaecide. Ahhh!

But he is learning. Nightly he vac's to waste, checks pH and adjusts, and shocks with dichlor to get the cya and chlorine up. We are keeping the pH low, about 7.0 - 7.2 to try to get some of the scale off, and that is working nicely.

CYA - 0
    TA - 90
    CH - never reached an endpoint... lots of floatie stuff in the test. Gotta dig out that mag-stirrer!
    pH - 7.0-7.2
    FC - 15 (oops, that was after adding LC in the morning and a full day of sun!)
    CC - 0 (YAY!!!)

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA isn't zero if you still had FC after a sunny day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    CYA isn't zero if you still had FC after a sunny day.
    Yes, you are right... but I have not measured CYA since we started adding the dichlor. It should be about 15, given how much dichlor has been added, and how much he has vac'd to waste.