AGP SWG recommendation

Rhinoh

Apr 26, 2011
I am looking for recommendations on a SWG for an above ground pool. I have a 28' round, 52" inch Doughboy Desert Spring (steel construction with resin top rails) and want to convert to a SWG. We installed the pool last year and the main issues were high alkalinity which I lowered with muratic acid and aeration and high CYA (due to use of chlorine pucks in automatic chlorinator). Too lower CYA I had to partially drain and refill, then had to lower alkalinity again because of the refill. Switched to bleach as chlorine source after that.

Doughboy discourages the use of SWGs and promotes a dual Frog system that they sell exclusively. I believe Doughboy voids your warranty if a SWG is used. Nonetheless, I am looking for other people's experiences/recommendations on a SWG for AGP. I would think a system that is able to produce a sufficient amount of chlorine with a lower salt input would be desirable in terms of lowering the potential for corrosion.

Any thoughts on the Autopilot AG series? I considered the AquaTrol but worry as my pool size would be at the top end of the 18,000 gallons the cell is rated for, possibly I should be looking at the AquaRite.

Would I be better off with a larger cell that did not have to run as frequently to produce the desired chlorine since my natural fill water is high in alkalinity? Does the SWG always run when the pump does? I know I didn't have to, but I ran my pump last year 24/7 just to keep the water moving.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for a helping a newb!

Do you have the owners manual?
I can't find anywhere where Doughboy voids the warranty if you add an swcg. They also don't sell sanitation systems, they only make pools. I bet your pool store is the one pushing the Frog system and not Doughboy.

You should get a swcg about 2 to 3 times larger than your pool volume. That ensures plenty of capacity and prolongs the life of the cell.

Unfortunately Doughboy's website is down right now, so I can't browse to it. But they have a section on their website called 'Sanitation' where they market a dual Pool Frog unit (made by King Technologies) that is sold exclusively through Doughboy dealers. At this section of their website, they have some verbage where they highly discourage the use of SWG and mentions that it voids the warranty. If you do a google search on 'doughboy salt' you'll also find a page on their website titled 'Thinking Salt' in which they promote their dual Pool Frog unit as a better alternative.

Anyhow, I would still like to convert to SWG. Thanks for the tip on 2 to 3 times the pool volume.

The text I see on their web page says "Many above ground manufacturers void their warranty if a salt chlorine generator is used." This appears to have actually be written by the Pool Frog people. In any case, it doesn't say that Doughboy voids their warranties, at least according to Google's cache of the page.

Here's the url path to this section of their website:

http://www.doughboy-pools.com/SanitationSystems.aspx

And here's a direct copy of the text: "Taking care of your pool water has never been easier. Minerals help control bacteria, prevent algae and keep the pH neutral so you can reduce chlorine usage. Doughboy highly discourages the use of saltwater chlorine generators on steel framed pools and the use of these products voids the Doughboy pool warranty. In an effort to give you an alternative to saltwater generators, Doughboy had teamed up with POOL FROG® to offer you the easiest, most efficient way to sanitize any pool up to 25,000 Gallons!"

Just to be clear though, I'm not looking to use the POOL FROG product as I've read about the downsides of the Frog system on this forum. But I am looking for any past experience/advice on selecting a SWG for an AGP so that I make the best, most informed decision.

If I oversize the SWG as recommended by two to three times, should I run the SWG on a seperate timer from the pump in order to prolong cell life? Or, should I use the same timer as the pump so they turn on together, and dial down the SWG output?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.