Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upstate NY, April 26th. Should I open it up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Upstate NY, April 26th. Should I open it up?

Hmm. Decisions.
    Likwidskateboards.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upstate NY, April 26th. Should I open it up?

Go for it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I say the same thing, OPEN IT!!! Eventhough the water may be to cold to go swimming, their is nothing like looking in to the yard and seeing a TFP!!!
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

4. Back To Top    #4

I am a lot farther north than you, and opened yesterday. In the event of freezing temperatures, I just keep the pump running overnight. As has been said, it's far preferable to look at a nice clear pool than a leaf and dirty water-covered winter cover. As well, you will open to a relatively clear pool, instead of a green monster, and you have a few weeks to balance the chemicals, fix leaky pipes, and shake down the equipment before the warm weather hits, and you are hit with a hot day, anxious kids, and a pool that's not quite ready. As well, if pool equipment repairs/replacement are needed, the lineup at the pool store is much shorter right now than it will be on Memorial Day weekend!
    18X36' 25000 gal Jacuzzi vinyl Inground Pool (1985) with resin sidewalls, newer Jacuzzi 1 hp two-speed pump and sand filter. Raypak propane heater, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (mostly use bleach).
    Softtub 220 portable hot tub.

5. Back To Top    #5

What's up neighbor? (Dutchess)...my pool is calling my name, but work has me holding off for another week or so. We're past hard freeze season, so if you've got the time I'd open 'er up. I plan to open in about a week and just cover it with my mesh cover to catch those little pinwheel thingys falling off the tree until mid may
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, ok i will open it up.
    Just went got the filter and pump out of the garage and realized I need a filter cartridge.
    Gonna order it right now. Dang it.
    Likwidskateboards.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Got mine open in NH yesterday. No green but the hazy blue that I typically open to. 9 gallons of bleach in and it is clearing up, headed to the store for more bleach today. The only issue with early opening here is the wind and the leaves and debris that end up in my pool throughout the day. Lucky for me I enjoy skimming while having a cold one....
    20x40 rectangle inground vinyl pool
    33K gallon of water
    1 HP Hayward Super pump
    Hayward high capacity sand filter S245T -250 pound sand
    pool is over 20 years old
    1 return line

8. Back To Top    #8

It's been open for a few weeks now. How long should I be running the pump each day being that it's not being used and still is 58-62F in there?
    My normal daily pump time when the pool is being used is 6 hrs.

Cut that in half?
    Likwidskateboards.com

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to run the pool long enough for the water to turn over at least 1 time. You can use this article to help you determine run times.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    You need to run the pool long enough for the water to turn over at least 1 time. You can use this article to help you determine run times.
    Ok, thanks.
    Even in that article it says you can reduce pump time when the water is cold.
    Likwidskateboards.com

11. Back To Top    #11

I use to live in Rome New York. While there, I learned that Upstate is relative. Folks in NYC think "Upstate" is West of Manhatan and North of Queens. For me, it was those guys up in Watertown. LOL
    Why is it most people that work in a pool store know nothing about pool chemistry?
    37,000 gal lined inground, Aquarite SWCG, ORP & pH cont, 30 gal acid tank, and Digital Timer w/ Freeze probe. All integrated with interposing relays to keep pump from shutting down if feeds are running.

12. Back To Top    #12

Born in Oriskany lived in Utica and Rome until my early 20's......small world.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by accidental chemist
    I use to live in Rome New York. While there, I learned that Upstate is relative. Folks in NYC think "Upstate" is West of Manhatan and North of Queens. For me, it was those guys up in Watertown. LOL
    Exactly the reason I've started using the term northern NY. My definition was always north of Albany but most think of it like you stated.
    21' x 48" Above ground partially buried Aqua Wood 10,000 gallons. Thanks TFP for the information to convert from Baquacil to BBB.