Pool supplies on hand

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I thought I'd ask what "chemicals" you all keep on hand that you use frequently throughout the pool season.

I have an SWG pool, so if you have info more specific to that application it would be helpful.

Right now I have:

A few 182 oz. bottles of bleach
2 - 4 lb bottles of CYA granules
1 - 12 lb bag of baking soda

I'm assuming, once I'm up and going, I will be needing salt. How much of that should I keep on hand?
Anything else I should have available?

Not having an swcg pool I keep several bottles of bleach on hand as well as a jug of muratic acid. Oh yeah, and a killer of a test kit! :mrgreen:

I don't usually need anything else. If I need anything else, I just wait till next time out and pic it up. The only thing that can be an emergency would be running out of bleach so I keep a few jugs on hand besides what's in the tank.

I also don't have an SWG, but a lot depends on the individual pool, if pH tends to drift with time, how fast and if that is up or down. Having said that I chlorinate with bleach, but also keep some stabilizer on hand as well as some dry acid, a couple of pounds of dichlor shock for those occasional needs to quickly boost chlorine levels (since CYA goes down over time due to splash out etc I like having the option to raise both). I also keep a few things specific to my needs like some MPS shock on hand, but this is due to having an indoor pool.

Ike

I do not use bleach and do not buy chlorine.

Once your salt is at the proper level you will rarely need to add. So, keeping a bag or two on hand is very sufficient.

I use about one quart of muratic acid every five days and a couple of pounds of baking soda once in a while. I also add a little CYA in the early Spring. You really do not need a lot of supplies.

JesseJames said:
I do not use bleach and do not buy chlorine.

Once your salt is at the proper level you will rarely need to add. So, keeping a bag or two on hand is very sufficient.

I use about one quart of muratic acid every five days and a couple of pounds of baking soda once in a while. I also add a little CYA in the early Spring. You really do not need a lot of supplies.

This is a perfect example of differences in local conditions, I have not used more than a quart of acid in the last year.

Ike

I keep a case of bleach and a case of acid. That's how it comes, 4 refillable jugs in a plastic crate. Sometimes it ends up 3/5 or 2/6, but I always have a week or more.

I worry more about keeping test kit reagents on hand. Bleach, acid, baking soda, and salt are all readily available. You're not likely to have a sudden demand for CYA. But in the height of pool season, good luck finding any test kit refills in a store, besides maybe pH. And good luck finding refills for the FAS-DPD test any time of year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.