Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool supplies on hand

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool supplies on hand

I thought I'd ask what "chemicals" you all keep on hand that you use frequently throughout the pool season.

I have an SWG pool, so if you have info more specific to that application it would be helpful.

Right now I have:

A few 182 oz. bottles of bleach
    2 - 4 lb bottles of CYA granules
    1 - 12 lb bag of baking soda

I'm assuming, once I'm up and going, I will be needing salt. How much of that should I keep on hand?
    Anything else I should have available?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool supplies on hand

Not having an swcg pool I keep several bottles of bleach on hand as well as a jug of muratic acid. Oh yeah, and a killer of a test kit!

I don't usually need anything else. If I need anything else, I just wait till next time out and pic it up. The only thing that can be an emergency would be running out of bleach so I keep a few jugs on hand besides what's in the tank.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I also don't have an SWG, but a lot depends on the individual pool, if pH tends to drift with time, how fast and if that is up or down. Having said that I chlorinate with bleach, but also keep some stabilizer on hand as well as some dry acid, a couple of pounds of dichlor shock for those occasional needs to quickly boost chlorine levels (since CYA goes down over time due to splash out etc I like having the option to raise both). I also keep a few things specific to my needs like some MPS shock on hand, but this is due to having an indoor pool.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Double ditto what bama just said. Once you get tuned in, you don't need much but chlorine (and I would suggest a jug or two even with your SWG) and acid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a SWG and keep:

Couple 2.5 gal jugs of chlorine in case I need a quick boost.
    Baking Soda
    Soda Ash
    Muratic acid
    CYA
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I do not use bleach and do not buy chlorine.

Once your salt is at the proper level you will rarely need to add. So, keeping a bag or two on hand is very sufficient.

I use about one quart of muratic acid every five days and a couple of pounds of baking soda once in a while. I also add a little CYA in the early Spring. You really do not need a lot of supplies.
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames
    I do not use bleach and do not buy chlorine.

Once your salt is at the proper level you will rarely need to add. So, keeping a bag or two on hand is very sufficient.

I use about one quart of muratic acid every five days and a couple of pounds of baking soda once in a while. I also add a little CYA in the early Spring. You really do not need a lot of supplies.

This is a perfect example of differences in local conditions, I have not used more than a quart of acid in the last year.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

I keep a case of bleach and a case of acid. That's how it comes, 4 refillable jugs in a plastic crate. Sometimes it ends up 3/5 or 2/6, but I always have a week or more.

I worry more about keeping test kit reagents on hand. Bleach, acid, baking soda, and salt are all readily available. You're not likely to have a sudden demand for CYA. But in the height of pool season, good luck finding any test kit refills in a store, besides maybe pH. And good luck finding refills for the FAS-DPD test any time of year!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!