Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: winterizing pool

winterizing pool

I

We have a Sand N Sun soft sided pool with a metal frame. Has anyone ever kept their pool up during the winter months?
    Is it possible to just let some of the water out and add one of those balloon/balls for winterizing?
    18x5 AG Sand N Sun Vinyl/Metal Frame, 7800 Gal, Changable Filter System.

Senior Member In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Some of the answer depends on how far North you live....let us know
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

I live in northern NH. Lakes freeze from late November on. What's the difference between the above ground pools with the hard sides and liners oppose to mine which is like a really thick liner.

They do not recommend allowing them to freeze for the specific reason that the "liner" of your pool IS your main structure, with some assistance of the supports. The metal or hardsided pools are the structure with a liner to hold the water.

The liner/your pool, while very resilient, is not intended to withstand the stress of freeze-thaw cycles, especially in full freeze situations and would be subject to failure from cracking, ice tears, etc. You would also void your warranty as they expressly state they are not intended to be used in that type of situation. We had one for many years before we bought out first hard sided 18' round, then our current oval. We got tired of taking it down and putting it up each year. I feel your pain - been there, done that.

There are some "soft sided" pools like a few models of the Splash pools and Kayak pools, that claim to be able to withstand winter freeze. Those brand pools often cost the same and more than the average high end hard side pools. We see that most (not all) people buy the softsided Wetset, Sand n Sun, etc., for one or both of the following two reasons: Lower cost and to try out the pool above ground experience before moving on to full time hard sided pools.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Thanks. I had a feeling that would be the answer. A girl can always hope! Oh well, it should be nice here for the next 2 weeks so you can guess what we'll be doing this weekend. Thanks again. I love this new site I've discovered!

We're glad to have you. Feel free to ask anything, we will try to help where we can.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!