Installing second return question

Jun 1, 2010
Bonaire, GA
Please help if you can:

I am installing an additional return on my AGP...it has wall padding (foam type).....

Do I have to to cut the padding around the return larger than the diameter of the return to ensure a good seal?

has anyone done this with out messing with the foam and had no leak issues?

If that is a 'must', I am not adding the return, since the pool was installed last year and moving the liner to cut the foam would be a PITA.

Thank you...Bo

Hi! :wave:

I don't have a hard side AGP but I added a second return to my pool without cutting another hole in my liner. I have an Intex pool so I had to modify NON standard fittings to connect to standard fittings and pipe. I do know that the pool returns for the hard side pools are standard size so the modification to those returns should be easier. Please read about my modification here Second return and Fountain for Intex Pools. Hope this helps.

:cheers:

Without draining the water down below where you plan on installing a 'through wall' return, I can't see how you would drill through the wall without wrecking the liner :? If, you've already drained the pool far enough to do this, cutting the wall foam isn't a big issue.

If you plan on drilling through the wall, make sure you have a way to prevent the chunks/ flakes from staying behind the liner !

If you tell me a little more detail on what you're thinking of, I may be able to help more :)

GOD BLESS AMERICA!! :super:

Waste...thanks for your reply...i plan on adding a second return near the steps on an oval AGP, for better circulation...the skimmer and original return are on one far end and the steps are exactly on the opposite end, about 33' apart (pool is 18x33)...the water level is not an issue, i can drain as much as needed to get it done...I read online that the foam may create a seal issue for the new skimmer if not removed from under prior to install...ideas?

If i select a site for the return on the inside...cut the liner and foam according to instructions in return install guide, drill a pilot hole for reference in the center...use masking tape to prevent stuff getting behind the liner, and drill return hole from outside of pool...will that work?

Any other ideas or comments are truly appreciated.

Thanks...Bo

crookm11 said:

I don't have a hard side AGP but I added a second return to my pool without cutting another hole in my liner. I have an Intex pool so I had to modify NON standard fittings to connect to standard fittings and pipe. I do know that the pool returns for the hard side pools are standard size so the modification to those returns should be easier. Please read about my modification here Second return and Fountain for Intex Pools. Hope this helps.

Thanks Crook...i have to have a regular return...i know my kids...i can just see it now...you were doing what?!!!...how did manage to break that?!!! :rant: :-D :rant: :-D

Bo

Robins Airman said:
crookm11 said:

Thanks Crook...i have to have a regular return...i know my kids...i can just see it now...you were doing what?!!!...how did manage to break that?!!! :rant: :-D :rant: :-D

Bo

Bo,

I 100% agree with you. I have to tell the kids to stop messing with the fountain all the time. If or when I get a more permanent pool I will deffinitly have a second normal return. The water circulation is so much better with 2 returns.

Will this help pry out an answer? :whip: :)

The orange arrow shows where the current skimmer and return are...the red arrow shows the location of the pool ladder...the big brown dot is where i want to put a return to ensure this end of the pool get its share of bleach.

Any suggestion/comments on how the wall foam may affect installation?

Thanks...Bo

Attachments

• Pool Side view2.jpg
    Pool Side view2.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 657
Hey Bo :wave:

A quick question. Which side of the arrow (I'm assuming the arrow is at the skimmer) is the existing return on? I want to tell you where to move your proposed new return and if you put it where I want, I'll tell you how to take the wall foam out of the equation.

waste said:
Hey Bo :wave:

A quick question. Which side of the arrow (I'm assuming the arrow is at the skimmer) is the existing return on? I want to tell you where to move your proposed new return and if you put it where I want, I'll tell you how to take the wall foam out of the equation.

As you look at the orange arrow, the skimmer is directly below it and the current return to the left (2') of the orange arrow.

Thanks!

Standing by!

Bo

OK, take your brown dot and move it to the first straight panel (~ 1' off the upright) and up to be ~ 22 1/2" down from the top (it'd be better to measure down from the top of your panel to the center of your existing return and place the new one at ~ that depth).

Then, as we talked about before, lower the water ~6" below the bottom of the proposed return, At this point, you can remove the liner from it's track and pull it far enough out to drill your pilot hole for the hole saw (remember to have something between the wall and liner to FULLY catch the drilled debris!)

Use the outer edge of your new fitting to be a template for the cutting of the wall foam. (if you go too small, you'll have issues, if you go a little larger - it's not a problem :cool: )

It's usually a 3" hole saw you need to install a new return fitting, but measure the one you will be installing and use the correct sized hole saw! You want to use the smallest hole saw, so that the hole is just big enough to accept the outer diameter of what you'll be shoving through the wall without it scraping the plastic. Use a file to smooth the cut edges, again - keeping the filings from falling behind the liner.

For your plastic sided pool, you should be able to use a Hayward SP 1408 or SP 1411 inlet/ outlet fitting, if it's on a flat wall. Using one of these takes the wall foam out of the question - the seal doesn't depend upon the inlet/outlet body being flush to the wall. I prefer the 1408 because it only has 1 gasket. Going with the IG fittings I just gave you, you can, after the hole is cut and the unit installed, you simply install the fitting, put the liner back into it's track and refill the pool before having to install the faceplate and cut the liner :cool:

If you go with a standard AG fitting, and you may have to, don't be afraid to cut the foam out a little larger than the flange on the fitting, you surely don't want a little flap of wallfoam to keep the gaskets from fully sealing!

Again, I'm sorry for not being able to complete this yesterday :oops:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.