Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Phantom gone crazy!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Phantom gone crazy!

I purchased a home last fall that has an inground pool. One of the items that came with the house was a Hayward Phantom cleaner. I'm a novice at best when it comes to pools so all I know is to put the cleaner in and hook up the hose then turn the booster pump on.

I did this once last year before closing the pool just to clear debris, we were never actually in the pool before closing, hence the limited experience. For all intensive purposes, the cleaner appeared to work fine.

I stored the Phantom in a closet in my garage. Temps are fairly moderate in there, never below 40 degrees in the winter months.

Today when I put the Phantom in the pool and turned it on, it did nothing but spin in clockwise circles. I tried (after reading the online manual) to adjust tail pressure, pressure at the wall adapter, the travel location (from top adjusted to bottom) and even flipped the cam to see if that would help.

With nothing working, I called the local pool store and they said the parts for that issue would be around $25 and the labor would be $55 an hour, but they said it wouldn't take that long.

Just wondering if this is something I should let them do or is there a specific part I can order and do this myself? I'm fairly mechanically sound, so I think I could handle minor repairs, I'm just not sure it would be worth tackling.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Phantom gone crazy!

From reading the manual, it says that if it it spins in small circles then the hose is bent and should ba laid in the sun and straightened out. Have you tried that?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The main hose? It isn't bent if that's the one you are referring to. Water temps are pretty low though. 60 ish. Not sure what affect that would have on it.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

The manual doesn't make a lot of sense to me, not owning one but it says "hose on hose cleaner end assembly bent" The solution is "layout in sun until straight". For what that's worth.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit