Its that time again!

Jun 24, 2007
Kernersville, NC
Well i have taken off the cover to a nice green mess. My last pool opening went like clock work, but this year is starting off on the wrong foot. I guess through one of the nasty storms here in NC, my cover had a hole put in it and it looks like I took some leaves in. The pool is really green so I took my readings.
FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
PH 6.8
T/A 20
CH 40
CYA 0

Please HELP. My sons b day party is this weekend. I don't care to swim in it but I would like it to be presentable.

If TA is below 50 do TA first, Then If PH is completely out of range fix that, unless FC is above 10 in which case you ignore it. Then FC, then PH, CYA, then TA. What to add is in pool school. How much to add is the pool calculator there.

Don't expect miracles, but with a bit of work you should be able to make it more presentable by next weekend. The sooner you start the better though, the the pH in the right ballpark first, add enough CYA to get it in range (use the sock method), then assume your at your target CYA as it can take a week or more to show up on tests. You can use dichlor shock for initial shocking as it will also raise CYA, or keep it separate and use stabilizer and liquid chlorine/bleach. The key here is maintain shock level, test and add chlorine as needed every couple of hours in the beginning, it will hold longer and longer as you go along. Scrub, scoop out leaves, vacuum and clean your filter often.

Ike

jerzeyrep01 said:
I started the pump today at about 5:00pm. It has been running since.

sometimes you see different test results after the water has been circulating, that's why I asked that. Be sure to retest before you start treating with chems.

Isaac is right - hit it hard. I cleared a green pool in 2 1/2 days last May. The PO couldn't believe it, in the past, it would take him weeks following pool store advice. He's now a BBB believer....

thanks guys. I added my stabilizer, and stopped at walmart for 4 182oz jugs, says i need to add 280 to start. i have already set my auto vac up and has been running for about 5 hours. i will wait for the sun to go down and then begin my assault on the algae :hammer: ..I have some let over tabs, should i add them too tonight to make sure i maintain my levels. i will stay up until midnight to do my last check. :cheers:

Get plenty more bleach. If you don't need it for this shocking process no worries you'll use it soon enough.

Once you start shocking you re-test the FC every hr if possible.

If you added stabilizer then no need for the tabs

Just wanted to come on and say THANK YOU, to everyone's input and for all of your help. After opening to a green swamp I am proud to say that my pool is sparkling clean and ready to swim in just 4 days. :party: My sons second bday party is tomorrow and the pool looks great. All I can say is if anyone doubts the methods and recommendations of this site and the peeps that inhabit it, they are crazy. This is my 4th year with the TFP system and my pool is immaculate. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.