Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0870 The Dipper??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pt. Arthur, TX

R-0870 The Dipper??

Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870. If the sample remains clear the entire time, your FC level is probably zero, however it is best to verify that with an OTO chlorine test, since the FAS-DPD test is prone to the occasional false zero
    The dipper isn't a very accurate measuring device. Sometimes the powder is actually a small chunk or two. Sometimes a little extra powder gets dropped into the test container. And if I use the dipper to stir the mixture, well there is always a little extra on the dipper.

Then the instructions say if the sample doesn't turn pink, add another dipper.

So, does it really matter how much R-0870 is added to the sample?

If I didn't put enough in it, will it give me a false low FC reading?

If I put too much, would it give me a false high?
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: R-0870 The Dipper??

It matters, but not very much. If you put in too little the test can read low. If you put in the right amount, or too much, or way too much then everything is fine. But if you put in way way way too much there might be some small errors, and you are wasting the powder. Generally, if you put in too little the sample will not turn pink, or it will turn pink and will then turn clear again, or will turn brown. The amount you need to use is larger when the FC level is higher.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Most chemical reactions are designed around the idea of having an excess of one of the chemicals involved, from what I know of these tests, they are designed where a scoop R-0870 will be in excess for normal chlorine levels, for extremely high chlorine levels (like while shocking with high CYA levels) you might need more than 1 scoop.

So to paraphrase what Jason just said

1 scoop your ok

1 heaping scoop, your ok, and may be a good idea if you know your at shock levels

2 scoops your ok, but being wasteful

3 scoops probably ok, but your being very wasteful

the whole bottle this might have unexpected results

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

South Central Kentucky

I just keep extra bottles of R-0870 and I dump the water into a new bottle each time, just to be sure.... :P
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator