Running gas line under the deck. Thoughts on pipe and grill

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
OK, we're replacing the existing deck. At its highest point, the bottom of the rafters are about 26" off the ground.
If I run pipe, all of the gas pipe would be above ground. It will run down the side and back of the house, against the concrete foundation. Then I was going to "hang" it underneath the deck, up to the point where I would put the grill.

I don't see any chance of physical damage to the pipe, since the deck is so low - so no one is swinging ladders under there, etc. And since we're building the deck to code, even though we;re on the east coast, it would appear that if a tornado hits, the deck will keep my house from flying away!

My father-in-law worked for the state power company for years, installed many gas heaters, etc. and has the tools and knowledge. However, he is not familiar with today's flex piping, etc. so my question is.

What would you use to run this gas line? Flex pipe, or galvenized pipe? Black pipe it not an option I know.

Also, can you recommend a natural gas grill?

Re: Running gas line under the deck. Thoughts on pipe and g

If I were you I would geta few quotes form local gasline installers and get teh knowledge you need there... and if you thin you guys can handle the work then do so! You may find the price is not so high and it doesn't make much sense to do it yourself!

Red Shirt Ensign said:
If I were you I would geta few quotes form local gasline installers and get teh knowledge you need there... and if you thin you guys can handle the work then do so! You may find the price is not so high and it doesn't make much sense to do it yourself!

Good advice for sure. I'll tell you this, we installed a 33,000 BTU heater in the basement. It was so easy, it was ridiculous. IN fact, the only problem we had is that the unit Lowes sold us was defective. Not a big surprise, but it had already been returned and I asked for the floor model instead. They insisted I take the returned unit. Well, we hook it up and can't get it to light. After checking everything else, you could actually hold your hand inside the unit and feel the gas leaking from within!! I scolded the manager pretty good for reselling a returned gas heater. What if folks with less knowledge had tried to install that.... I took the floor display and all is well.

I ended up using some stuff called TracPipe.

It is stainless steel flexpipe, jacketed in plastic. I buried it under my concrete last year before pouring and ran it to an outdoor fire pit. It has compression type brass fittings for the ends that go to pipe thread fittings. Very simple to work with. I put a ball valve inside the basement before it goes outside just in case. It is strong stuff, you can't collapse/bend it on itself.

I also did a 24 hr isolated pressure test before I hooked/covered it up, then another one after buried.

I started a thread on here last year and everybody told me I was going to blow up the neighborhood, kill the whales, and upset the solar system for some reason.

Here's what I used: http://www.tracpipe.com/trac/faqs/

I bought a 50' roll and cut to length. You'll have to go to a good contractors supply plumbing shop. It won't be at the corner store.

The funny thing is in my area, they want you to use black pipe above ground, scuff it with sandpaper, and paint it.

tony

First and foremost look at your local codes to prevent an insurance policy void , god forbid something goes wrong. Have run thousands of feet of Gal piping for gas in exterior applications, cold gal your exposed threads on joints. Instulation of convoluted ss flex gas piping (tracpipe,titeflex) needs a cert card in PA to purchase at plumbing supplies. My advice is leave it to the professional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.