Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installation of AGP, do they Tamp?

1. Back To Top    #1

Installation of AGP, do they Tamp?

When having a pool installed, did your installer tamp the ground? One shops said they do, and one shop said they don't. I would think it would be a good idea to do so, but wanted people's opinions. (Tamping: packing down the dirt, before installing the pool.)
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installation of AGP, do they Tamp?

When I installed mine I didnt tamp, I have an excavator level the ground which left virgin soil.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by britinusa
    When I installed mine I didnt tamp, I have an excavator level the ground which left virgin soil.
    That's what the shop who does not stamp said. He said there was no reason to tamp, if it was virgin soil. Ok, so that's one for no tamping, lol. Any others?
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

I would certainly tamp any ground that has just been excavated before putting up an AG pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine was tamped.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!