Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 foot slope

1. Back To Top    #1

2 foot slope

Hello,
    I am putting in a 24' round pool in a slightly sloped back yard(away from the house) There will be a 2'slope from one side to the other. After I dig out the high side, what do I do to fill in the trench. Ive read some things about filling the trench with sand, possibly needing a retaining wall maybe drainage. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 foot slope

It would be great if you could post a pic of the slope where you plan on putting the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

well I have not started diggind it out yet, but its a pretty gradual decline. My fist thought would be sand then pea gravel on top.

4. Back To Top    #4

Make very sure you compact it very well. If you don't, then over the years it will settle and things will shift/crack and you'll be in a world of hurt. The folks who previously owned our house and put in the pool were sloppy about it, so I speak from painful experience.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

I am also building this month with the same exact slope issue for my 24' Round
    The Shallow wall side should still have 4-5 inches of back fill dirt which I will then cover with gravel with a nice black molding edge against the grass side.
    so I have a 54" wall pool oging in I expect it to be about 50" above ground on the back side (farthest away and down hill of the house)
    and the front edge will be about 20" for grade and 4-5" for inground stability or about 36" above ground on that side)

So with a 24' round they are digging about 18" wider all the way around the perimeter ie a 27' flat spot if you will...

I have a picture at home of a co-workers pool with a similar condition and how he did it. The picture I will scan shows the pool 20 years after install so you can see that this has held up over time. the Blocks in the photo are just stacked and not bound together in any fashion

I will probably be skipping the wall itself and Iwill have a full deck going over the top

Will post it this evening
    Thanks
    RSE
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies...look forward to seeing the picture of your co-workers pool, Red Shirt Ensign.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry for the delay!

Remember this wall is 20 years old and this is a scan of an inkjet copy of an original picture!

Thanks
    RSE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!

8. Back To Top    #8

the bottom left corner is ink running from a water stain
    thankfully the weather is better now too (though too rainy to allow me to get an install!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for positng the picture, gives me a much better idea of how to possibly id it out!
    I've got to wait a bit too to start the install, been way to wet and rainy.