Heater not starting up

dred

Apr 25, 2011
I have an older Purex heater with what i am assuming is an electric ignition (see pictures).
When I try and turn it on I hear the ignitor fire its usual sound(a buzzing) but i don't hear the sound (whoomp) of the fire starting. Light indicators show pressure and It all worked fine last use in the early fall of last year. The gas lines are all connected and valve turned correctly. We had heavy rains for SOCAL, this winter but no flooding. I have never had this problem before. There are no water or gas leaks that i can find and all seems to be normal. Any ideas before i call a repair guy? Thanks for the input.[attachment=1:gtj7rk63]007.JPG[/attachment:gtj7rk63][attachment=0:gtj7rk63]006.JPG[/attachment:gtj7rk63]

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 67
Wimpy
1. Does power up, at least power indicator light does. Also can hear the usual sound of the ignitor firing.
2. connecttions were cleaned after this pic, no success.
Dumb question but would this unit have a pilot light? Like a home water heater. There does not seem to be one nor a place that it should be.

I am in SoCal as well and I seem to have to clean the spider webs out of my heater every year to get it to light. On my heater there is a small 1/4" line that goes from the regulator to the "pilot light." The electric sparker lights the pilot light which in turn lights the main burner. There is an orifice at the pilot light that gets clogged with webs.

I'm just guessing those heaters use a thermistor to light, like most of the new ovens. It doesn't click like your stove top, but instead gets hotter & hotter until it lights the gas.

I would bet that thing finally bit the dust & you'll need to call the service guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.