Solar Panel issue - not heating

Apr 17, 2011
Recently repaired solar panels...They had slipped down the roof and the joints were leaking. Fixed it all and now it seems that the water is not getting hot!?

Water seems to be flowing thru the system, have an automatic valve that is open, water drains down at night, etc. but the water coming out is the same temperature as the rest of the pool. Base pool water is 75 degrees. Things worked fine for the last several years...Any thoughts as to what I should check would be appreciated.

Thanks

If the sun is shining and water is moving through the panels it can't help but get hot. When everything is working correctly the water coming out of the panels should only be one or two degrees warmer than the pool water, which is a small enough difference that it is easy to miss.

If your air temps are still cool, you may not be gaining much. A good quick test for panels is to feel the surface. If the panels are warm, they aren't working. If they are about pool water or air temp, they are doing their job as well as they can with the conditions.

Hi there, I think John's post sounds logical. I mean, if you touch panel and it,s hot, means water does not flow through. I think your problem is simply the fact we are only in april, so outside temp is not as warm as in summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.