Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar heater add to pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar heater add to pool build

Wife and I are are close to finalizing details on a pool build here in sunny Albuquerque. We are keen on using a solar heater (pool surface is 576 sq ft, so looking at around 460 sq ft of panels), especially after another TFP member who is local is going without a gas heater. The local pool builder only offers the premade panels, but we would prefer the "black mat" style heater so I'm thinking of a DIY install. I've looked into some manufacturers I've seen listed on here (specifically Hot Sun http://www.h2otsun.com/ ) and was looking for some feedback on them if anyone has opinions. I could not find their products on the Florida solar information site...

With a recent quote I've gotten, they've included a Pentair Suntouch controller and my other question is: will a suntouch be able to handle basic automation for my entire system (intelliflo pump, pentair sand filter, SWG and solar heat)? I'm completely in the dark on automation and I don't quite know my what my needs will be as I've never owned a pool before. I know that I'll need some sort of schedule to circulate the water through the filter and swg, operate the skimmers, operate the dedicated line for a pool cleaner and then have another schedule for solar heating...but I can't wrap my head around what that works out for automation needs. The pool builder offers a "manual timer" with his builds and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to add a more robust automation system at install.

Thanks for your help!
    Jason

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar heater add to pool build

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Pool
    The local pool builder only offers the premade panels, but we would prefer the "black mat" style heater
    Are you sure that the pool builder isn't using "black mat" panels just like everyone else? That is just about the only thing anyone would use around there.

The SunTouch will control a solar system, and everything else you mentioned. A manual timer is just fine without solar, but with solar it is really nice to have a system that turns on automatically when the panels are hot and the pool needs heat. With solar and an IntelliFlo I wouldn't go with anything simpler than a SunTouch system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned mounting the panels on the roof at an angle, which we don't want because they'll mount directly to our tar and gravel flat roof and our neighborhood association would probably have fits.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't mount them at least at a slight angle they won't drain down properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll confirm and post back.

Does anyone have suggestions on companies that supply DIY solar heat - I'm not the most handy at these projects, but I can get some help with the install as long as I have some general schematics, etc. to install.

6. Back To Top    #6

Check this web site I found on solar panels (manufacturers and DIY)

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Po ... tm#Manuals
    12' above ground pool install "inground" - hayward pro-lx serie sp-2295 pump - hayward vari-flo sp704 - 2 x 4' x 20' fafco solar bear panel
    for polar bear living north pole, Quebec city , Canada

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought mine from www.bestbuypoolsupply.com and just completed my DIY install today. There are lots of places online that sell everything you will need.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.