RayGA

Apr 25, 2011
I recently bought a home with a hot tub. I refilled the tub using a filter being I'm on a well. I added a 32oz bottle of a balancing agent that the store recommended. I also added a scale chemical to deal with the iron but the water remained cloudy.

Cloudy water has many causes. I would recommend several things to do. Read Pool School at the top right of the page, buy a test kit, and for now take a sample of your water to a pool store for testing. You need to know if your water is balanced and if its not, how far its out of balance and what to do to get it balanced. Having know idea what the pH is makes for a hard start.

Your water might just need a clarifier/oxidizer (chlorine/shock), but then again it could be extremely out of balance, phosphates, metals (needing Metal Out), or unfiltered debris.

iPhone, this is a spa/hot tub, so several things you mentioned don't apply. In a spa you regulate TA and PH follows, instead of trying to balance PH directly. Phosphates never matter, pool or spa. And so on.

frustratedpoolmom said:
You could maybe shock the spa with bleach and hope to precipitate out the iron...
what do you mean "instantly filled with trash" ?
I lifted the filter and it was clogged with red/rust colored material.....very small. I refilled the hot tub and it was clear and water was balanced until I added a little "shock". It immediately discolored once again. Should I have added a Bromine granule instead?

That's most probably iron in your water. When you have iron in your water raising the sanitizer quickly will bring it out of suspension and create exactly the symptom you describe.

Do you have a water softener for your home?

Bama Rambler said:
That's most probably iron in your water. When you have iron in your water raising the sanitizer quickly will bring it out of suspension and create exactly the symptom you describe.

Do you have a water softener for your home?
Its a cabin and were on a community well.

You might still consider a softener, maybe for a particular tap rather than the whole house.

I hear about doodads you can attach to your hose to filter out at least some of the metals before they get into the tub.

Another approach that sometimes works is to just keep filtering it, cleaning the filter frequently; it helps to have an extra set of cartridges so you can just swap the new one in, and then clean the old one. This is a bit tedious and can take a while. Also it's a process you would have to repeat every time you refill, unless you get a softener or a hose filter.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.