Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

I recently bought a home with a hot tub. I refilled the tub using a filter being I'm on a well. I added a 32oz bottle of a balancing agent that the store recommended. I also added a scale chemical to deal with the iron but the water remained cloudy.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie

Welcome to TFP!

Did you add any sanitizer (bromine or chlorine)? Also, have you been running the pump so the water gets filtered?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cloudy water has many causes. I would recommend several things to do. Read Pool School at the top right of the page, buy a test kit, and for now take a sample of your water to a pool store for testing. You need to know if your water is balanced and if its not, how far its out of balance and what to do to get it balanced. Having know idea what the pH is makes for a hard start.

Your water might just need a clarifier/oxidizer (chlorine/shock), but then again it could be extremely out of balance, phosphates, metals (needing Metal Out), or unfiltered debris.
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

4. Back To Top    #4

iPhone, this is a spa/hot tub, so several things you mentioned don't apply. In a spa you regulate TA and PH follows, instead of trying to balance PH directly. Phosphates never matter, pool or spa. And so on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The tub was clear when we bought it...when we moved in 2 weeks later..I lifted the filter to change it and it was a rust color and the tub instantly filled with trash

6. Back To Top    #6

You could maybe shock the spa with bleach and hope to precipitate out the iron...
    what do you mean "instantly filled with trash" ?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    You could maybe shock the spa with bleach and hope to precipitate out the iron...
    what do you mean "instantly filled with trash" ?
    I lifted the filter and it was clogged with red/rust colored material.....very small. I refilled the hot tub and it was clear and water was balanced until I added a little "shock". It immediately discolored once again. Should I have added a Bromine granule instead?

8. Back To Top    #8

That's most probably iron in your water. When you have iron in your water raising the sanitizer quickly will bring it out of suspension and create exactly the symptom you describe.

Do you have a water softener for your home?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    That's most probably iron in your water. When you have iron in your water raising the sanitizer quickly will bring it out of suspension and create exactly the symptom you describe.

Do you have a water softener for your home?
    Its a cabin and were on a community well.

10. Back To Top    #10

You might still consider a softener, maybe for a particular tap rather than the whole house.

I hear about doodads you can attach to your hose to filter out at least some of the metals before they get into the tub.

Another approach that sometimes works is to just keep filtering it, cleaning the filter frequently; it helps to have an extra set of cartridges so you can just swap the new one in, and then clean the old one. This is a bit tedious and can take a while. Also it's a process you would have to repeat every time you refill, unless you get a softener or a hose filter.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

11. Back To Top    #11

If it is metal in the water, maybe this will help:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pool-and-Spa-Sub-mi ... 20b3b4dff2
    Not sure but reading the description sounds like it will solve your problem.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota