seeking pump/filter guidence

DRoessler

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
Greetings,

I am in the unhappy position of having to address our south Florida pool. we have a rather small (~15k gal circa 1980) pool with a 1HP jacuzzi pump driving a Hayward DE2400 filter. Until the recent equipment failure, it worked reasonably well, though there are a good number of leaks. I've been researching options when I came across this vast pool (sorry) of knowledge, and thought I'd ask some experts. I'd like to end up with many years of low maintenance enjoyment, and I am willing to invest up front to do so, however I'd rather not spend a great deal of cash in this effort. Since I am going to have to spend some, I'd prefer to spend it wisely.

As the pool has degraded across the years, we plan on pool resurfacing. There does not seem to be any reasonable way to save the water currently in the pool, so I am looking at refill alternatives to simply running the hose.

For the filter, We like the capability of DE, but really dislike the need for constant back washing. I am not entirely opposed to paper cartridges. I have been looking at "Easy Clean" DE filters, both with "Bump" cleaning and hose off cartridges. Any opinions on the either of these? Do they work at least as well as traditional grid systems? Should I just resign myself to using replaceable paper filter cartridges?

For pumps, we have been steering to a simple, single speed, timer clock controlled pump. I've been told that "high efficiency" in a pool pump is a misnomer. I'd like to be as efficient as I can reasonably be, but are variable speed pump savings really worth the ~$1k premium? A dual speed pump seems a reasonable compromise, though I've been told a different time clock/controller must be used. Does the cost of a dual speed
with controller provide enough efficiency?

Thank you in advance for any advice, direction, and opinions provided.

Welcome to TFP!

The Pentair Quad DE filters are very well thought of. They are large, which means longer time between cleanings and you can take the cartridges out and hose them off easily, which many people really like.

The value of a true variable speed pump depends on your electric rates. If you are paying $0.20/kwh or more then they are usually worth it, otherwise, probably not. A two speed pump is a good choice for lower electric rates. A two speed time clock or controller is required in California to get the rebate but is not otherwise needed.

Thank you for the quick reply! Electricity cost currently runs at most $.11/KWH though I am sure it will go nowhere but up. As well, I have looked at the quad filter; is it significantly better/easier to clean then the Pentair EasyClean system (was looking at the EC60).

Yes, the quads are much easier to clean than just about any other DE filter. The counter point is that they don't backwash quite as well, but then none of the DE filters really backwash all that well.

I am no expert, but for what it's worth:

Filter: I still like DE. It catches all the fines. I get a lot of fines in the pool but only backwash when the pressure has increased 10-12psi, which ends up only 2-3 times a year! really not bad. And DE is cheap. I hear sand is good, and you can always throw some DE in with the sand to catch fines.

Pump/motor and electrical costs: I have a monster single speed but only run 4hrs a day, around 8 kw-hr a day, less than $1/day at current rates. I tend to think folks run their pumps waaay longer than they need to. I strongly suggest getting a 2-spd pump: not much more expensive than a single speed, you can run it on low all the time unless you need to vacuum etc. The payback period on a fancy VFD pump makes no sesne, especially if you are only paying 11c per kw-hr.

Cheers

I would prefer to stay with DE as well; I don't think I'll be exposing myself to enough of it for silicosis concerns. In past, we've had to backwash at least once a month, but that may have been the result of the pools' poor condition.

As for the pump; that's kinda where I landed. However, the price of KW is not likely to go down. I've also read running a pump at low speed for 12 hours does a better job with less usage than full speed for 4 hours.

That's why I have asked in TFP, given the wide range of answers I've received from my local pool folks. None of their answers really left me with the comfort to say "Here's the checkbook, have a nice time"

Ok, So it sounds like the prevailing opinion is Pentair QUAD to stay with DE. "Bump" Cleaning and back washing are not all that effective; plan to disassemble and clean at least once a season. Cartridges are ok, but provide somewhat less filtering capability. VS pump not really necessary; 2sp is adequate but require timer upgrade or additional wiring (hi/lo switching).

With some care and patience I should be able to install this puppy. T&M rates for the local professionals seems to be running in the $200/hr range. I don't know if this is excessive, but I can certainly do a lot of damage for $200/hr. :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.