Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Refill Spa - Order of operations

1. Back To Top    #1

Atlanta, GA

Refill Spa - Order of operations

I know after I fill the spa, I have to balance the water and add chlorine. I'm just not sure of the order of operations. I know it is important because one thing will affect another. I will need to add a bit of calcium, TA, Borax, Chlorine bleach, CYA, and maybe some acid. What order should I add and when do I test to fix the PH?
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'
    Hi, IMO - sanitizer is first!! After that I'd do the pH and then the alk and ch. Add a little cya whenever you want, and by 'a little I do mean a little) You only need a small amt. of cya to take care of an indoor or covered hot tub. After you add anything, let the tub run for ~40 min and then test and re-dose as needed
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)