Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build - Fort Worth, Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build - Fort Worth, Texas

We started our pool build recently after 3 years of planning.

Specs:
    Gunite
    3.5'-7.5'
    21'X39.5'
    Jump Rock
    32' Weeping Oklahoma Creek Rock Wall inset into water
    Sunstone - Black Onyx/Blue Mist ( 3:7 bag mixture )
    Pseudo Spa with no heat just jets and air
    Tanning Ledge
    Gecko mosaics
    Umbrella Pole
    2- Bubblers
    2 - Spray Fans
    2 JAndy LED lights
    2 - Jandy 1.5 hp stealth pumps
    1 - Waterco Centrifugal Filter
    1 - 580 Cartridge Filter
    Oklahoma Flagstone Coping
    Textured colored concrete

Will be going chlorine(BBB) rather than SWG

Pool is being built by Accent Pools in Arlington, Texas

Here are some pictures....

Excavation
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45791577@N ... 571197374/

Rebar and plumbing stubout
    http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuxVakL

Gunite
    http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuxVVrq

Next Up is Tile/Coping/Stone.....

Raymond
    Gunite IGP, 3.5'-7.5', 21'X39.5', Jump Rock, 32' Weeping Oklahoma Creek Rock Wall, Sunstone - Black Onyx/Blue Mist ( 3:7 bag mixture ), Pseudo Spa with no heat just jets and air, Tanning Ledge, Gecko mosaics, Umbrella Pole, 2- Bubblers, 2 - Spray Fans, 2 JAndy LED lights, 2 - Jandy 1.5 hp stealth pumps, 1 - Waterco Centrifugal Filter, 1 - 580 Cartridge Filter, Oklahoma Flagstone Coping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build - Fort Worth, Texas

Congratulations.

Do you have a good test kit yet?

Can you test the water that will be used for filling the pool to see what you will need to do on startup? (pH, TA and Calcium).

3. Back To Top    #3

No test kit yet. That is the third thing to purchase once we are closer to fill date. The water is coming from our well since I cannot use a truck

The pool company is doing the initial start-up and supposedly it requires 14 gallons of acid and lots of brushing then they will come in clean it and get it ready for swimming. After that is done I will take it over and go from there.

I see the kits here on the forums I will probably grab one of those when the time comes but for now I will keep paying on the pool and depleting the college fund for the kids.

Raymond
    Gunite IGP, 3.5'-7.5', 21'X39.5', Jump Rock, 32' Weeping Oklahoma Creek Rock Wall, Sunstone - Black Onyx/Blue Mist ( 3:7 bag mixture ), Pseudo Spa with no heat just jets and air, Tanning Ledge, Gecko mosaics, Umbrella Pole, 2- Bubblers, 2 - Spray Fans, 2 JAndy LED lights, 2 - Jandy 1.5 hp stealth pumps, 1 - Waterco Centrifugal Filter, 1 - 580 Cartridge Filter, Oklahoma Flagstone Coping

4. Back To Top    #4

You should have your well water tested for metals. If it contains iron you should really try to have metal free water trucked in. If you have metals you'll be constantly using sequestrant in order to keep the metals from staining the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks good! Where about in Fort Worth are you? I'm on the far north side of town.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

6. Back To Top    #6

That pool is going to be great! Not much privacy between the backyards there, are you planning on any type of screening along the fence?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Looks good! Where about in Fort Worth are you? I'm on the far north side of town.
    Haslet off of Avondale Haslet and 287....

8. Back To Top    #8

I thought those lots looked fimilar. I'm just on the other side of 35 at 287
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlmarsh
    That pool is going to be great! Not much privacy between the backyards there, are you planning on any type of screening along the fence?
    25 feet Behind the weeping wall we are going to put a 4 foot Berm and then plant trees in it.
    Right behind the weeping wall we will plant some native texas grasses and lower shrubs to create layers of growth and reduce mowing around the pool and clippings end up in the lawn.

Raymond

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah we are in Willow Springs Ranch south of the golf course. We looked forever in Van Zandt and could not find a lot or home we liked for sale and settled for a builder foreclosure on the lot and built here three years ago.

What color Diamond Brite did you get and do you like it?

11. Back To Top    #11

Went with Blue/Black. Like it, should have went darker though. Was worried about raising temp. 11 feet deep so I don't think it would have been a prob.

12. Back To Top    #12

Funny...We are looking at mixing the Midnight blue with black onyx. I just do not like the higher cost for the midnight blue so was debating on mixing blue mist with black onyx for a lighter color. or even going 6 bags of blue mist with 4 bags of black onyx rather than the 7/3 they normally use.
    heading to noble tile tomorrow to pick up some mosaic geckos and turtles for when they start the tiling.

13. Back To Top    #13

I got my tile at Noble, good people. I don't remember what blue I went with? But it was a 7/3 mix. I think it's to light, but I like the darker water look. They can tint the plaster to to make it darker? We were going to go with Pebble tech but my wife was worried about the rough texture on feet. Noble used to have samples of the different mixes so you could see them.

14. Back To Top    #14

Truck Water in / Well Water / City Provided

Dillemma...We have a Well that produces around 5GPM on a good day so filling a 25K pool would take 83 hours to fill.

Pool surface is a Sunstone Quartz Aggregate

Pool builder stated that I should not use a hydrant or have it trucked in because it could ruin the finish.

Contacted Fort Worth and they can turn on city water if we setup an account and then we can run the hose from the meter directly to the pool. It is a 3/4" meter.

The other option is they will run multiple hoses from the hydrant to splitters to use multiple hoses and then fill it that way which would take only around 8 hours but at the cost of 50/hr and then the cost of the water.

Decisions Decisions......

15. Back To Top    #15

Doopie, not sure if there is hook-up fee from FW, but I wouldn't do the trucked in method. A friend of mine in the the business has told me, "there isn't a plaster company in the metroplex that will honor your warranty if the water is brought into the pool from a rapid filling source (i.e. fire hydrant or truck)"! I called FW and set up the fill so the just charge for water and not waste, and I had a calibrated gauge that I used. In the end I pumped 28994 gallons and it cost $45. That was 6 years ago I think. Can't be to much more now. I don't think I would run my well pump for 40-50 hours straight either.

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't know much about plaster finishes, but we had water trucked in for our vinyl liner pool.
    Nice clean water, but $275 for 5k gallons.... after nearly running our deep well dry.
    The 3/4" city meter deal sounds like a good option.
    I wonder what kind of pressure you have, unregulated pressure could be 100psi or more?
    You could split it off to a couple of hoses and probably fill it in a day or two.

Best of luck,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

17. Back To Top    #17

You have a liner pool. Plaster pools water is added while the plaster is still fresh, right after there done trowelling it smooth. Most city waters are no where near 100psi! 30-50 are common, some are more. Just the water falling out of a 3" hose hitting the bottom of fresh plaster will distort the finish.

18. Back To Top    #18

I think the meter option is the best.

If I were going to truck water in I'd use something to protect the plaster from the direct splash of the water. It'd be easy to lay a piece of rubber mat or plywood down to disperse the water flow.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

I wonder what type of damage putting a check valve and firehose hookup to the main drain would cause. I would think that throttling the water down on startup would limit the volcano eruption effect or use the well for the first foot in the deep end and then throttle the water in through the main drains. We have 4 of them so I would think going through one pair would suffice for protection but would require additional plumbing. I wonder if the plumbing would hold up to the additional pressure the hydrant would have but then we can throttle it at the hydrant as well.

If not we will just set up an account with Fort Worth, use 1" PVC to go from the 3/4" meter to the pool and spare the pump running for 83 hours.

Thanks for the help guys.

Raymond