Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I check the drain and skimmer flow?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central Kentucky

How do I check the drain and skimmer flow?

I know my skimmer flow is working properly and have been able to verify as such. Unfortunately, my floor drain valve just spins and doesn't indicate full open or closed. Is there a way I can tell if I've got it fully open or partially open or not at all?

I can't get in the pool yet, too cold, so it will have to be a from above water solution. I was thinking maybe attach something (string, ribbon) to the end of my extension pole and hold it near the drain to see if it pulls it in?

With that in mind, how far open should I keep the bottom drain valve? I was told that it didn't need to be fully open, but the skimmer did. How accurate is this?

I'm mainly concerned because for one, I just don't know for sure, and I just opened and have started adding the chemicals to get my levels correct, and I want to make sure everything is circulating.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: How do I check the drain and skimmer flow?

You could always try closing the skimmer and see if the pump starts starving. Don't do it for long, though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!