Not sure if there is a problem with our pump.

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
We opened on Friday, it was our first opening since the pool was installed last July. Everything went smoothly. Last night when I shut off the pump the water from the pump appeared to go back up into the skimmer basket, forcing the lid almost off. After a second this stopped. It happened again today. This time water didn't actually shoot out of the top of the lid but I noticed everything in the skimmer basket, (dead bugs) shot back into the pool and the basket was flipped upside down in the wall skimmer. I don't remember this happening last year. The only thing I can think of is that my water level is a little high. Anyone know what is causing this? The presssure on the filter is 15 which is what it has been since we opened. Any thoughts?

It almost seems like the pump kind of "throws up" back into the pool when I shut it off. Sorry for a gross visual. :?

You almost certainly have air in the filter. Try opening the air vent on top of the filter while the pump is running and let the air out. Don't close the vent until it is solid water for a couple of seconds.

Air in the filter will cause exactly the symptom you describe, and if you have been releasing air you clearly have air in the filter. Perhaps the real question is why air is getting into the filter? That shouldn't happen unless you let the plumbing drain down. Air accumulating in the filter is usually from a suction side air leak. That could be from water too low in the skimmer letting air come down a vortex, or a bad seal on the pump strainer basket lid, or a leak in the suction side plumbing.

I went outside again and turned off the pump. This time there was much less "kick back" but there was bubbles coming from the return. I opened the valve to let air out of the filter with the pump off. This time a lot of air came out then water. I turned the pump back on and then off after about 10 min and this time no kick back what so ever. I'm guessing it is fixed now. When we first turned the filter on I don't think we had enough water in the pool, we quickly turned it off and filled more, I'm guessing this is when the air got in so hopefully now it is fixed. thanks

Ok, There is def. air getting into the filter. I'm not sure how this is happening. My water level is on the high side so I'm confident it isn't the coming through the wall skimmer, my equipment is less than a year old. The only thing I can think of is if dh and I did't put something back on correctly when we restarted everything. I've taken the cover off the pump and pulled out the strainer basket, put it back in and put the cover back on. As far as I can tell it is closed up tight and there is no water leaking from anywhere. I have noticed an air bubble or two looking in the pump, is that normal? Any thoughts on what else I could check, would pictures help?

Yours is a common problem and takes some detective work on your part to solve it. You have a suction side air leak. That means, when the pump is on, it is sucking air into the circulatory system.

The "suction side" of you system starts at the skimmers and goes to the pump basket. The leak is somewhere in between those two points. Once you find and stop that air leak, you will not see bubbles inside the pump basket and you filter will not pressurize and kick back the skimmers.

This should be a pretty easy fix on a AGP. Check your connections at the skimmer, pump inlet and ensure the pump lid gasket is in place and not cracked, lubricated if necessary. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.