Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a house...theres a hole in the backyard

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought a house...theres a hole in the backyard

So we are closing on a house on Friday. Long range plan is to fix the pool. We have a 16' SW AGP now but have always wanted an inground....this isn't quite what we had in mind. How much work do you think we are looking at to get it fixed? Any ball-park estimates on the cost.

[img]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397805_331935460169506_100000591632056_1214494_848438079_n.j pg
    [/img]

PIC UPDATED!

Thanks!
    29000 Gallon IG vinyl w/ SWG
    Pentair S220T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought a house...theres a hole in the backyard

That may not be all that bad, though it will be difficult to be sure of anything until the cover is off and a more through inspection is done. At a minimum you need a new liner, probably a little repair work on the floor, which together might run you $3,000 to $5,000. There may be other problems, but nothing obvious from the pictures.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason, thats about the range we were thinking. For now is it best to cover from the elements and treat standing water or can I leave it open? After Friday I will take more pics and post them
    Pentair S220T

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd have had a pool repair person give me an estimate before I closed on the house, unless you are getting an unbelievable value on the house/property with a big hole in the backyard.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

5. Back To Top    #5

The cover isn't actually helping very much in that condition. Removing it won't make much difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thunder, Yes the deal on the house is very good. The acreage alone is almost worth what we paid for the house. Not having the pool is not a deal breaker at this point, we know we are buying a fixer upper.

Jason, I was thinking about getting a real IG Cover
    Pentair S220T

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, you'll need one come winter, so you could buy it now if you wanted. It won't help anything right now and putting it on would just be unnecessary wear and tear on your new cover. I wouldn't bother.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Thx, I'll just keep my eye open for a deal
    Pentair S220T

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd be a little worried about those little ones. A safety cover would be a wise investment if you're weren't going to open it this season. Kids "forget" what their parents tell them all the time (well, at least mine do) and the idea of having an open 8' drop to concrete right in my backyard would keep me up at night.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would remove the diving board and store it far away from pool until the pool is safe for swimming. Having a diving board over an empty pool is asking for an injury.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

11. Back To Top    #11

Pics are updated as of yesterday. What all should I be looking for in regards to getting this fixed?

New Liner
    Hard dirt underneath fixed?
    New coping?
    Is the pump good enough?
    Any plumbing likely needed?
    Lights added?
    The wife hates having a diving board and would rather I replace it with a slide...I think I convinced her to keep the board and just add a slide if we so desire.
    Anything else I'm not thinking?
    Pentair S220T

12. Back To Top    #12

OK....let's try some numbers:

Liner: $2500 - $4000
    Prep work beneath/sides of new liner: $0 (could be included with cost of new liner) - $1000
    New Coping: roughly $4.00 - $8.00 linear ft.
    New Filter/pump - no heater: $400 - $1000 (DE or Sand or Cartridge)
    Lights: is there presently a light? Looks like there is none, since it would normally been under the DB. Electrical run and light: $1000
    Winter Cover: $$300-$400 (plain vinyl with water bags) - $2500 - $3500 for Loop Loc or Meyco

Just some general figures for you.
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

13. Back To Top    #13

The filter might need a sand change, if only to see what the umbrella assembly (up pipe and laterals) look like (i.e undamaged). Easy to to and under $100 to do, assuming no damages inside.

The pump, it it work, keep using it. Might need a Go-Kit and motor. Under $300 if you do it. It isn't that hard.

The liner will likely cost a couple grand plus basic installation( area dependent, I get about $6-700). Until the wall foam is removed, we can't tell if it was put in as a way to boost the bill (some installers are less scrupulous than me). If it is needed, expect about $250 to $300.

The floor and hopper will need substantial work. The lack of water will have caused washouts, a condition that happens with sand bottoms and hoppers. I see rocks. Rocks and liners don't mix. I would rebuild the floor and hopper with V-Mix for its better resistance to washouts and denting. I expect this to be the biggest part of the bill. Close to $4500 and this needs a pro. It really isn't a DIY job.

The coping is fine. If it needs painting, cans of Krylon or Rustoleum.

Don't cover the pool until after the new liner is full. Safety covers rely on water being within 18" of it for support. A snow load will cause it to fall in. That will damage the springs and webbing significantly and would not be covered by a warranty.

A 2x12 board can be set as a ramp on the side of the steps so any critters can get out that are too small to negotiate the steps.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

14. Back To Top    #14

Would looking into making this gunite be a mistake. I know it will take a few inches away the dimensions on each side. Would it last longer or should I not even look at that?
    Also, I never knew sand bottom was so common...is there another option I should explore?
    Pentair S220T

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

That would cost just as much as having a new pool put in.

16. Back To Top    #16

there is no conversion. It would require the old pool be removed.

The reason you don't see sand bottoms made much any more is they are very delicate once water is removed or the liner leaks over a period of time. A V-Mix or cement bottom is much more resilient to damages under both situations.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

17. Back To Top    #17

First quote came back at 10800 or 9800 if I sign within 5 days.
    Includes
    remove liner
    dig out all sand in pile and fix wash out hole under wall
    install new V16 liner
    Install new wall foam
    Install new liner(face plates, screws, gaskets)
    install autopilot digital 60
    remove and install new ladder cups
    pressure test pipes
    2 loads of water.
    winter closing of pool included with job.

Thoughts?
    Pentair S220T

18. Back To Top    #18

See,s high to me.

19. Back To Top    #19

I thought the same...
    Pentair S220T

20. Back To Top    #20

That actually doesn't sound too out of line. I see one of the line items is a new Poolpilot with a SC 60 cell. That's a couple thousand right there installed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast