Pool pump (Hayward) operation question

Apr 24, 2011
So I just bought a house with a pool and still trying to figure out how everything works. I had a pool growing up so the concept of cleaning/testing water is not new to me.

The pool was built in the mid-90s so it is an older setup which might be the root of many of the quirks I'm running into.

The pool is 18,000 gallons, cartridge filter, in ground, plaster (I think). Pool has an attached hot tub. The system is a Hayward with a regular and booster pump, gas pool heater, etc.

Here's the problem: The seller had his pool guy out prior to closing and the system seemed to be working fine, but we had a power outage last night. This morning I noticed the pump was running but nothing was happening so I shut the system off.

What's supposed to happen is water fills into the spa and the spa overflows into the pool. All the valves are set properly. I noticed the pumps has a little basket (like a mini skimmer) and the clear plastic says it should be filled with water before running. I filled the basket with water and when I turn the system on it drains down but nothing happens. There is also a garden hose outlet on the system for the leaf eater and if I open that up, no water comes out.

I'm thinking the system needs to be primed somehow? Keep in mind, this is an older system. As an aside, there is a waterfall on the back side of the pool that doesn't seem to flow. I don't see a separate pump for it. Any ideas what would need to happen there?

Thanks for the info. Hoping to go BBB once I get everything up and running.

Welcome to TFP!

It does sound like your pump lost prime during the power outage. Slight air leaks can cause that to happen, and they can also cause you to have trouble priming. Make sure you are getting the pump basket lid on tight. You might try it with only one suction line open to increase the draw on that line.

Hi John,

Your idea was very helpful. I turned the valves so I was pulling from the spa and the flow was really good, but when I changed it to the main drain in the pool the flow stopped. I think the drain is clogged with leaves. The previous owner had renters who for some reason removed the cover from the drain and I found it in a box of pool equipment in the garage. When the water is safe I will swim down and put the cover back on. Until then I just need to make sure the pool stays clean and leaves don't accumulate on the bottom.

Still haven't make heads or tails of why the waterfall on the back doesn't flow. I don't see a separate pump or switch. Again, wondering it something is clogged or not primed. At this point is less of a priority since I want to get the pool into usable condition.

JasonLion said:
There is presumably a valve that controls the waterfall somewhere.

I'm hoping that's the issue. The pool has a lot of landscaping around it and I need to bag up all the leaves. Over the weekend I was walking behind all the landscaping and trees leading up to the waterfall and didn't see a valve but it could be covered up. I found lights out there that I didn't even know were there because the bulbs were burnt out so they never turned on!

So I know this is an old thread but wanted to follow-up with my findings.

Turns out the problem with the priming was the o-ring that went around the lid to the pump skimmer had fallen off. How in the world the pool guy was able to get the pump primed is beyond me ... but as soon as I put that o-ring on the pump primed almost instantly!

Also found the valve that controlled the waterfall... problem was due to the low pressure it couldn't really get going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.