Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water Taste

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water Taste

Just wanted to know if it was normal to be able to taste the salt in our pool. I have heard that you shouldn't be able to taste it, but I do. I've been trying to keep up with keeping our chemicals in range and everything is fine other than that. Here are my numbers...7.6ph, 90 alkalinity, 1.5 Cl. Is there something I am doing wrong???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Water Taste

What's your salt level at?
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

Largo, FL USA

I can taste mine (around 3000ppm). It's not very strong, but definitely can be tasted. I'm guessing it's a matter of how sensitive your sense of taste is. Several people who have been in my pool said they could not taste it.
    Foxx Pool Grecian 27000 gallons (vinyl liner)
    Sand Filter w/ 300 #'s of Brand New Sand 6/3/11

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

People have very different thresholds of taste. You may be able to taste it between 2,000 and 3,000 whereas most people can't taste it till well after 3,000 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Our pool salinity is normally in the 3000-3200 range. We can taste the salt in the water.

When one of our daughter's friends inquired about the taste of swimming in "ocean water". My daughter described the salt taste as being closer to vegetable soup than "ocean water".

I would compare the salinity of the pool water to the broth in a good bowl of seasoned vegetables like peas or beans.

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

As has been said, different people can taste the salt at different levels.

However, the pool is for swimming, not drinking! :P
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

SC Lowcountry

One of my daughter's young friends asked me why he tasted salt in our pool. After I told him it was a salt pool he asked me why did I have a salt pool. I explained that the shrimp need the salt to stay alive. It was a hoot watching him trying to see shrimp in the pool. My daughter finally explained it to him.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.