Test Kits

Feb 28, 2011
I am a new pool owner and received a test kit from our pool contractor. I am using the Pentair, pool and spa test kit 78hr, which tests for chlorine, ph, acid demand and alkalinity. Is this test kit sufficient or do I need a test kit which tests for more or is more accurate? If there is a better test kit out there that anyone would recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Our pool contractor will do a more extensive test if we bring them a water sample, but they are really far away and we don't make it there often.

Thanks!

From the pool school
The three test kits that are recommended here at TroubleFreePool.Com are the Taylor K-2006, the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, and the TF Test Kit's TF100.

The BBB method recommends testing Chlorine and PH daily. TA, CH, and CYA weekly. Your kit doesn't allow you to test CH or CYA, both are extremely important if you are going to have a trouble free pool.

It is also beneficial to know what your combine chlorine levels are. Check real quick to see if your current kit allows you to test for Total Chlorine or Combined Chlorine. The kit my pool builder gave me did not. It only allows me to test for Free Chlorine. But if you don't know if you have any combined chlorine, you won't know that you have a algae battle on your hands until it's too late.

You will also need to test the CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) and calcium (CH) level, especially if you have a plaster finish on the pool. You should get a FAS-DPD complete test kit such as the TF 100 or a Taylor K2006.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.