Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kits

I am a new pool owner and received a test kit from our pool contractor. I am using the Pentair, pool and spa test kit 78hr, which tests for chlorine, ph, acid demand and alkalinity. Is this test kit sufficient or do I need a test kit which tests for more or is more accurate? If there is a better test kit out there that anyone would recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Our pool contractor will do a more extensive test if we bring them a water sample, but they are really far away and we don't make it there often.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Schnecksville, PA

Re: Test Kits

You will find that most people here prefer the TFP test kit.
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App)

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Kentucky

I recommend the TFP test kit. You will get more accurate results and more test.
    Intek 15' diameter X 4'deep 4,800 gallon AG beginner pool, updated with a Hayward sand filter, 60GPM pump. TF-50 Test Kit. Upgraded to TK-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Pt. Arthur, TX

From the pool school
    The three test kits that are recommended here at TroubleFreePool.Com are the Taylor K-2006, the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, and the TF Test Kit's TF100.
    The BBB method recommends testing Chlorine and PH daily. TA, CH, and CYA weekly. Your kit doesn't allow you to test CH or CYA, both are extremely important if you are going to have a trouble free pool.

It is also beneficial to know what your combine chlorine levels are. Check real quick to see if your current kit allows you to test for Total Chlorine or Combined Chlorine. The kit my pool builder gave me did not. It only allows me to test for Free Chlorine. But if you don't know if you have any combined chlorine, you won't know that you have a algae battle on your hands until it's too late.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Houston, Texas

You will also need to test the CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) and calcium (CH) level, especially if you have a plaster finish on the pool. You should get a FAS-DPD complete test kit such as the TF 100 or a Taylor K2006.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

middle tennessee

Everybodys telling you right,,,get the Taylor 100 test kit,,has all the test,,you test it youself,,,,when you want,, and it is right,
    Above ground 24'round-vinyl-14,000 gal,,1 speed-2 hp pump, 250 lb sand filter ..heated,,salted,,lighted,,decked,,with slide and pool rover jr.....
    TFP 100,,am doing the BBB thing...Wet is Wild!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Fleming Island, FL

Quote Originally Posted by pooldog
    Everybodys telling you right,,,get the Taylor 100 test kit,,has all the test,,you test it youself,,,,when you want,, and it is right,
    I know you meant TF100 test kit... The Taylor kit is the K-2006....
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool