What Pump Filter Combo to Get?

SusanB

Apr 15, 2011
I currently have a 12' x 24' x 54" AGP which according to the pool calculator holds 8600 gallons. I have the intex pump/filter combo that came with the pool which I have had problems with. They are sending me a replacement under warranty, but I am not expecting it to last all that long either, so I would like to have a plan for when this one gives out.

A friend of mine has a Hayward Power Flo LX pump which I believe is very old; it is model SP1515Z-1-ES and it is 1.5 hp. I was thinking about buying her pump, but after doing some research I think it is way to big for my pool. I am leaning towards a sand filter because I am quite tired of shelling out $10 for each replacement cartridge for the intex filter. I would like something reliable and reasonably priced. So if you were me, which filter/pump would you get?

SusanB said:
I currently have a 12' x 24' x 54" AGP which according to the pool calculator holds 8600 gallons. I have the intex pump/filter combo that came with the pool which I have had problems with. They are sending me a replacement under warranty, but I am not expecting it to last all that long either, so I would like to have a plan for when this one gives out.

A friend of mine has a Hayward Power Flo LX pump which I believe is very old; it is model SP1515Z-1-ES and it is 1.5 hp. I was thinking about buying her pump, but after doing some research I think it is way to big for my pool. I am leaning towards a sand filter because I am quite tired of shelling out $10 for each replacement cartridge for the intex filter. I would like something reliable and reasonably priced. So if you were me, which filter/pump would you get?
Hi Susanb, :wave:

Any sand filter would be a good choice. Their are many different combo sets out there. The units that come with these pools are not up to speed in maintaining a TFP. Just remember the fittings that are on your pool are not standard and it takes some modifications to get standard pumps to hook up correctly.

:cheers:

Mark, thanks for letting me know that the fittings aren't standard. Knowing that will make life so much easier when I do go to install a new pump.

I will definitely check out the Sand Dollar/Dynamo combo.

I have a 24x12 hard side (not intex) with a Hayward pump and cartridge filter combo. You won't have nearly the maintenance with a real pump/filter but the cost may be near what your pool was. I clean my cartridge once a year, although I don't have a leaf problem.

What size pump would you get for a 24 x 12? I was thinking the 3/4 hp pump would be fine, but is more pump better? Should I go up to 1 hp? It also seems that looking at the Pentair filters, that I could use the 3/4 hp pump with the 16.5 sand dollar filter. Would that work?

Sportsman said:
I have a 24x12 hard side (not intex) with a Hayward pump and cartridge filter combo. You won't have nearly the maintenance with a real pump/filter but the cost may be near what your pool was. I clean my cartridge once a year, although I don't have a leaf problem.

I would love to clean the cartridge once per year. I don't have a leaf problem either, right now I seem to have a pollen problem though. I have been cleaning my intex cartridge filter about every 2 days which is getting old real quick. I checked the price of your Hayward Pump and filter combo, it wasn't bad at all.

3/4 is fine. I just upgraded from a 1.5 hp to a 1hp 2 speed (waiting for it to arrive). Electricity is a killer in CA so the dual speed is worth it. If you search the site, you'll find plenty threads on water turnover for different size pumps. Longer on smaller pump is better and cheaper as long as the pump is big enough for pool. 3/4 is plenty for 12x24. I'll only use full speed to vacuum.

With a regular size filter, pollen is nothing. We are in an agricultural area and have pollen and fine red dirt. I use a skimmer sock to help but my filter pressure never rose and was a snap to clean this spring.

Sportsman said:
3/4 is fine. I just upgraded from a 1.5 hp to a 1hp 2 speed (waiting for it to arrive). Electricity is a killer in CA so the dual speed is worth it. If you search the site, you'll find plenty threads on water turnover for different size pumps. Longer on smaller pump is better and cheaper as long as the pump is big enough for pool. 3/4 is plenty for 12x24. I'll only use full speed to vacuum.

With a regular size filter, pollen is nothing. We are in an agricultural area and have pollen and fine red dirt. I use a skimmer sock to help but my filter pressure never rose and was a snap to clean this spring.

That is good to know. I don't want to overbuy and have too much pump for the pool. I did look at the thread on hydraulics or whatever it was and my eyes just glazed over. I also looked on the Hayward site and they had a pdf that was chock full of information that I didn't understand. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.