Please help not sure whats going on.....

Apr 25, 2008
Hello all,

This is the first time I have ever posted anything so if I get it wrong I am very sorry.

This is my problem I opened my swap this week and know have crystal clear water all my levels seem to be right
However, over the winter time I think my algae has stained my concrete to a nice brown. I have never had anything like this before. I have brushed and brushed and got a little off but not working so well. Do you guys have any Idea what could be wrong?

Also, I have noticed that my concrete is chiping on my stairs I have owned this inground pool for over seven years and have never seen anything like this.

Please help....

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

If the pH rose over the winter, then if you had metal ions (iron or copper) in the water then you could get metal staining. If you take some ascorbic acid, say from a Vitamin C tablet, and hold it over a stained area, then if it lightens up then it's likely to be a metal stain in which case you can follow the Pool School article on Metals in the Water and Metal Stains.

If it doesn't fade from the ascorbic acid, then you can try putting a Trichlor puck on it to see if that makes it fade (unless it's a vinyl pool -- only do this Trichlor puck technique for a plaster or cement pool). If it fades, then it's likely to be organic and chlorine will eventually fade it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.